Doing a slight upgrade soon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

markpelly

Baseband Member
Was wondering what you guys may think are some good upgrades. I do some heavy gaming when im not in school. Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Black Ops are the two games im into now. Here is my current setup:

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Monitor:
Dual Samsungs
Win7 64bit

I upgraded most of this a couple years ago and it is just now showing its age. Rather slow when working with big projects in CS4 and I dont get very good frame rates anymore. So does anyone want to suggest a good upgrade on RAM and for the CPU? If possible give me a reasonable price on these, I am only looking to spend like 300-400 for both. Thanks guys

What board do you have? If you can upgrade you CPU, a Phenom X4 or X6 would be nice.

Update your memory to 4GB

Update your GFX to a ATI HD5770, or a NVIDIA 260.

What is your PSU wattage?

Stay away from the 260 isn't even made anymore. The ones still around are way over priced.

I very doubt your board will run am3 chips well so:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Its a X4 965 BE and a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO board.

All for $299.00 then you can keep you 8800 if you want, or go to an x6... or go for a new gpu as well.

I'd add a new gpu those if youre concerned about gaming.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity its 114 with 15 mir.

That'd get you to $400 and would be a great setup reusxing the rest of your stuff, but this assumes your psu is around 450W and is a decent make.

awesome guys. Def what I was looking for.

I guess 4 extra gigs is enough for now on RAM; I actually have two 1 gig sticks of that same GSkill.

I will probably stay with the GFX card I have right now, it still runs pretty well. I think where I am lagging is in the RAM and CPU department right now so I will stick with those two for now.

And I run usually at just under 1920x1080 on most games.

Before you do anything, check your psu for how many watts and Amps on the 12 V rails. That'll give you the info if your psu will be good.

But without switching gpus, you should have no issues. A quad will really help in CS4

okay well I grabbed these out of the BIOS:

3.3V - 3.36v
5.0V - 5.02V
12.0V - 11.84V

and these were on the side of the PSU itself:

3.3V - 25A
5.0V - 45A
12.0V - 30A

those are the max DC outputs..not sure if those are important.

here is the power supply: PSU

I actually heard that the BIOS or other software are not good tools to use to find the voltages. But this will have to do for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom