Doing my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta member
Hi, Im new to this, Im planning to build a pc mainly for encoding videos, movies etc.
I have a netbook currently, and waiting 7hrs for a 1hr video using handbrake is crazy. I made up a list of what my setup might be, if anything is bad or overkill let me know, I only use the computer to surf, email, and encode video. Any help, comments would be appreciated.

cpu
amd phenom ii x6 1090t

motherboard
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

case
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

os
windows 7 home

power supply
corsair cmpsu-750tx 750w

Video Card
ASUS EAH5830 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Memory Card:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Drive
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Not sure about the memory or case, or wattage on power supply. Thanks again for all your time.

Pulled off their FAQ site...

When I try to launch the GUI it says "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for HandBrake...." ¶

Your screen resolution is too low.
Screen resolution must be above 1024x620.

Please note, we do not intend to support netbooks.

Obviously your system is hitting the minimum requirements because you can open the program. You're probably just a few inches over it though with just a netbook. I'm no genius on the subject of encoding because I've never done it. This post required me to some research, specially on the program you're using 'Handbrake'... Apparently it's hit or miss with this program. Some it seems swear by it, others not so much.

I'd assume what you're really going to be needing is some processor power, A fast reliable hard drive and a fast optical drive. You've already selected a decent CPU, and ODD. I would actually recommend this for your hard drive:

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

If you can afford it.

where are you buying your parts from?

i'd suggest you go intel, specifically an i5 2500k. yes it does have 4 cores compared to the 1090t's 6, but it can do more work faster with less cores. both cpu's are about the same price, and i believe their mobos are priced similarly too so cost should not skyrocket by only changing those two things, you would be able to keep everything else the same.

for the OS, make sure it's 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom