Do my RAM sticks have to be identical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartthecartoon

In Runtime
My computer only has 512 MB of DIMM RAM right now, and I have some extra money so I'm going to upgrade it. I have an empty RAM slot, and I want to put 512 MB into it. Does the new stick have to be the exact same as the old one? I have put RAM into my old computer before and it worked fine even though all 3 sticks were different amounts of memory and different manufacturers. If it does have to be the same, is there any way to find out exactly what I have without opening my case?

If your setup is like I think it is (single channel ram) then they shouldn't need to be the same type of ram. That's a new rule to apply to dual channel ram.

Ryan

In me experience, sometimes it works fine, but sometimes it doesn't. I always recommend using the same kind to get the best performance out of it and to avoid strange issues that can arise.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
If your setup is like I think it is (single channel ram) then they shouldn't need to be the same type of ram. That's a new rule to apply to dual channel ram.

Ryan

How do I know which one mine is? My computer is only about 2-3 months old. It uses DIMM RAM, and it can have 2 RAM sticks.

It is recommended that you use the same brand and size for each to avoid any possible problems.

And for Dual Channel, 99% of the boards only support dual channel configs with RAM that is the same size, they dont have to be the same brand, but like i said, try to keep things the same size and brand no matter what to avoid possible problems.

there is no 'type of setup' or 'dual channel RAM'

assuming your board and CPU support dual channel, then it basically boils down to:

2 exact sticks = dual channel

non exact sticks = single channel, simple as that.

I've mixed and matched plenty of RAM before without issues, so if you're just adding another 512mb stick, unless your motherboard manufacturer specifically states it doesn't like whatever brand you're buying, chances are it'll work.

I upgraded my laptop with 1 GB iof RAM and I had an extra 256 MB stick so I threw that in the 2nd slot. The two sticks were different brands and I had the worst time with it. It corurupted my files, shut down programs without notice, and I got fatal system errors. It was fine in the beginning, but as time went on it got worse and worse.

I decided to just get a GB stick, and then I can just get another one later and I'll have as much as my motherboard can handle.

geez nubius. You're worse than an english grammer teacher. You got my drift, and I think everyone else who knows what I'm talking about did too. I just don't understand you dude... must be that primitive alpha-male thing.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom