Do mobos have built in thermal shutdown protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My cousin said his mobo did, turns out I have the exact same mobo he does. I can't find specs anywhere for this sort of thing. Is it possible? Do they come with them default set or do you have to configure it in the bios to activate it?

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 939

All "Newer" Mobos have a cpu temp gauge under the actual CPU... I would check the advanced chipset options in your bios for any kind of heat protection option.

Yes i believe that model has one, defaulted at 160 degrees
you can change the default in the advanced bios settings

PhillipBelcher said:
Yes i believe that model has one, defaulted at 160 degrees
you can change the default in the advanced bios settings

Can an AMD Athlon chip withstand the 160 degree mark?

If so, then even though I messed up (read other thread) with the cpu and heat sink, my cpu should be 100% alive. (I don't have thermal compound yet to test it).

I wouldn't push the temps on the cpu if i were you... Obviously Its better safe than sorry. Depending on the cpu you have the temp threshold will differ.

If you have stock HS/Fan you should be ok as long as your not OCing the thing to death.

PhillipBelcher said:
its shaky, ive seen some blow at 160 f and some be fine at 160 f
what model mobo do you have?

MSI K8N Neo4

The other thing is, my system didn't shut off... so I never reached 160F...

bradybnmci said:
I wouldn't push the temps on the cpu if i were you... Obviously Its better safe than sorry. Depending on the cpu you have the temp threshold will differ.

If you have stock HS/Fan you should be ok as long as your not OCing the thing to death.

I'm not OCing anything. This is a side question from my other thread.

I got excited putting my first pc together, turned the tower on to check and make sure all of the fans and cdrom drives worked. Then I realized that I didn't have the heat sink on the CPU and shut the system down myself. It was on for about 10 seconds, max.

I got excited putting my first pc together, turned the tower on to check and make sure all of the fans and cdrom drives worked. Then I realized that I didn't have the heat sink on the CPU and shut the system down myself. It was on for about 10 seconds, max.

This shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't worry about it if it was only for about 10 seconds or so. Did you get power to everything when you did this ?

bradybnmci said:

This shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't worry about it if it was only for about 10 seconds or so. Did you get power to everything when you did this ? [/B]

CD rom drives had a green light, fans went on, LEDs on front of case went on. I heard no beeps. Then I shut the system down.

Some people in my other thread were like OMG ONE SECOND CAN KILL IT.

I spoke to my cousin and he seemed shady that even 10 could kill it considering the mobo I have... who knows.

Gonna sleep for 2 hours, then I'm gonna head out to get the compound and find out for myself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom