Do I need an SSD?

vindolla

Beta member
Hi guys!
To begin my problem, the first 10 minutes after start up my computer is ridiculously slow, if I were to search something from the start menu, it would take awhile to open, then once I've searched for what I wanted, the program would take another minute or so to even open. After the 10 minutes is over though the computer returns to normal speed which is relatively fast.

I have already checked my start up programs, I've disabled majority of them but seen no increase in speed. I've also ran anti-viruses to see if I had any viruses, but there was no sign of any.

Is there something that I can do to fix the speed of my computer? I was thinking of investing in an SSD, but I don't know.
My specs are:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7 2600K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
16GB Ram (two 4GB Kingston and two 4GB Corsair)
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard

Two drives, C:\ DRIVE (299 GB) Has 16.8 GB left D:\ DRIVE (631 GB) Has 65.5 GB left

What do you guys think?

Hi guys!
To begin my problem, the first 10 minutes after start up my computer is ridiculously slow, if I were to search something from the start menu, it would take awhile to open, then once I've searched for what I wanted, the program would take another minute or so to even open. After the 10 minutes is over though the computer returns to normal speed which is relatively fast.

I have already checked my start up programs, I've disabled majority of them but seen no increase in speed. I've also ran anti-viruses to see if I had any viruses, but there was no sign of any.

Is there something that I can do to fix the speed of my computer? I was thinking of investing in an SSD, but I don't know.
My specs are:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7 2600K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
16GB Ram (two 4GB Kingston and two 4GB Corsair)
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Motherboard

Two drives, C:\ DRIVE (299 GB) Has 16.8 GB left D:\ DRIVE (631 GB) Has 65.5 GB left

What do you guys think?

What the hell is in your startups? Seriously. With the horsepower you have you should be ready to rumble fairly quickly even from a mechanical drive. Either use MSCONFIG or a program like CCleaner to check out your start up items and to uncheck those that you do not loaded on startup.

And as PP said, everyone needs an SSD. I use two: one for my OS and main apps, one for my games. I also use mechanicals but only for storage.

What the hell is in your startups? Seriously. With the horsepower you have you should be ready to rumble fairly quickly even from a mechanical drive. Either use MSCONFIG or a program like CCleaner to check out your start up items and to uncheck those that you do not loaded on startup.

And as PP said, everyone needs an SSD. I use two: one for my OS and main apps, one for my games. I also use mechanicals but only for storage.
Even at work with Haswell i5s and 16GB of RAM startup and app loading is painfully slow right off the bat. The only way to really fix it is ditch all the startup items and Windows Defender.

agreed. SSD is the best thing since sliced bread and LCD monitors

even on an old *** laptop the total reboot time went from over 2 minutes to less than 30 seconds

startup was just over a minute and now is around 8-10 seconds

make sure you get a good SSD for your specific application they are made fro home PC and servers and other purpose and optimized differently

Hi guys!

SSD does not help in this respect in any way. You have too much background protseesse that run after Windows is started. Disable all unnecessary background processes.
Disable Update Search during Windows starts, disable any startup disk troubleshooting and disk check etc.
Second, look at that all junk files and the cache files have been deleted, and the disk is defragmented and optimized. As well as the registry files.
If you are too old Windows installation, make new and clean install. It is old if after the cleaning process everything is still slow.
SSD will accelerate the launch of programs, booting and recording speed. But this is not the only one what affects these procedures, so it is not recommended to install SSD into the old PC, where is slow processor, RAM, videocard etc and You may not have no effect.

SSD does not help in this respect in any way. You have too much background protseesse that run after Windows is started. Disable all unnecessary background processes.
Disable Update Search during Windows starts, disable any startup disk troubleshooting and disk check etc.
Second, look at that all junk files and the cache files have been deleted, and the disk is defragmented and optimized. As well as the registry files.
If you are too old Windows installation, make new and clean install. It is old if after the cleaning process everything is still slow.
SSD will accelerate the launch of programs, booting and recording speed. But this is not the only one what affects these procedures, so it is not recommended to install SSD into the old PC, where is slow processor, RAM, videocard etc and You may not have no effect.
Actually quite the opposite. A HDD can't handle the simultaneous reads and writes that are happening with all the small files right at launch causing the system to bog for a period of time before it's responsive. An SSD alleviates this 100%. The rest of your post is spot on except the end, an SSD will help absolutely any machine regardless of age or OS. HDDs are extremely old tech and cannot cope with the amount of IOPS a modern machine is capable of. An SSD even in a Windows 98 machine on an IDE interface even shows how much quicker machines in the 90s could have been with mainstream NAND flash.

Holy crap! Those drives are packed! I would definitely replace both. SSD for OS, probably at least 256 mb but 512 mb if you can afford it. Move data and my documents to second drive and but 3 to 6 Tb, depending on your budget. If SSD was small, consider reinstalling applications on terrabyte drive.
You probably have window search indexing enabled and it is having a hard time. If you don't use it, consider disabling or targeting my documents. My two cents.

Holy crap! Those drives are packed! I would definitely replace both. SSD for OS, probably at least 256 mb but 512 mb if you can afford it. Move data and my documents to second drive and but 3 to 6 Tb, depending on your budget. If SSD was small, consider reinstalling applications on terrabyte drive.
I hope you mean GB :p.

You probably have window search indexing enabled and it is having a hard time. If you don't use it, consider disabling or targeting my documents. My two cents.

I don't recommend turning off indexing on Win10 - it will break a lot of the search functionality for the Start Menu (I learned this the hard way...).

Back
Top Bottom