Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   System Upgrades (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   do i need a sound card? (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/do-i-need-sound-card-75377/)

omw 11-27-2005 11:33 AM

do i need a sound card?

hi,
ive intel 865 gbf mobo with onboard 5.1(or more) integral sound. i was tthinking about buying a reasonable 2.1 pair.....one out of altec mx 5021, logitech z2200(heard these r better than newer model; z2300) and klipsch promedia. these all r THX certified. i saw some one on the net using z2300 with on board sound. will i get some extra audio quality with audigy 2 zs(i received it as a gift....but wont put it in unless i need it).
i read on the net that a sound card is basically for 3d sound, sound recording and other stuff that i never do. even 3d(surround) is aval with my current mobo. im into games as well and will be mostly using the speakers for games and music. not into 5.1 stuff; difficult to manage...too many leads and such.....kids in the house, u know! and also sound quality of a 5.1 system costing under 200$ would be questionable!

thanks for reading my long post.
help greatly appreciated.

kind regards
omw

KorKwin 11-27-2005 01:25 PM

With that soundcard, you should be able to tell a dramatic increase in sound quality over your onboard sound. I've never heard that particular card, but my friend has a SB Live 24 Bit and it makes music and everything else sound noticably better. If that sound card has hardware voices your games should play a little better due to the soundcard taking some of the load off of the CPU. I don't know if you'd be able to tell the difference in game performance, but it should increase a little.

turtile 11-27-2005 02:25 PM

The only card I would pay for over onboard is the Creative X-Fi

Its 24x the power the the Audigy. With this you WILL hear a great difference in quality. (actually increases 2.1 better)

With the Audigy ZS the sound wouldn't be that much better to pay the extra money.

Camden 11-27-2005 02:28 PM

If it's just for gaming and enjoying music, then I'd say pass on the s card; it's more for people working with and editing music and/or sound phr34ks :p . I have no sound card, and I love my sound. Integrated sound with decent speakers (bass box included ^_~) = all I could ever want.

omw 11-28-2005 04:37 AM

thanks
this means its useless to put in the audigy 2zs in pursuance of better sound quality.

more views/ suggestions welcome

omw

Camden 11-28-2005 07:34 AM

well if you have the funds and want it, go for it. There is a difference, the debate is if it's worth the 40-400 bucks for a quality one when most integrated sound is enough to make most people happy :)

Quote:

this means its useless to put in the audigy 2zs in pursuance of better sound quality.
IMHO, yes.

omw 11-28-2005 12:04 PM

thanks. i put it in though cause i already had it ...as a gift u know. i do find some slight improvement with my sennheiser 202(not the best of headphones). however ive been able to game at a bit higher video quality setting! lets see what happens once i get the altec mx5021.

omw

p.s. i cant play dvd movies with the creative media player. cant even play dvd video songs.....dunno which format the ceative accepts. incase i use other dvd playing software would i get the desired perfor?mance