Do I need to install the motherboard's driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Baseband Member
Reformating and reinstalling XP Pro.
Do I need to install the motherboard,s drivers or will everything be on the XP cd?

You may have to install drivers for on-board sound, video, ethernet or an other on-board components. Also, after loading XP, you should check online for updated drivers.

EDIT: Sorry for the short post.. I was at the gym on the eliptical machine, and this took me 10 minutes to type on the touch screen keyboard... lol :D

chipset drivers?

but what about the onboard chipset? Does windows xp have them built in?

It is hard to say... I don't know which drives are on the XP disc, let alone what kind of motherboard and what chipset it has.

Your best bet to avoid difficulties would be to use the Motherboard disc to load all of the required drivers, and then look for updated drivers online... It is a toss up, either it will or won't have the drivers...

Example: My old computer:

AMD 2400+ XP
ASUS A7V8X Mobo
ATI Radeon 9800 AIW

In order to install the newest Windows 2000 video card driver on that PC, I have to update the VIA chipset drivers on the mobo after installing the OS. With a different AGP card I had (can't remember make & model), no chipset update was needed.

wait a minute? they have a touch screen monitor in your gym? what gym do you go to, cause i wanna sign up.

LOL.. it is a small gym in the Chicago Suburbs.... the touchscreen isn't the greatest, and the resolution plain sucks..... HOWEVER... you can also watch cable TV on it, so it is pretty cool.... I just jam with my iPod, and (try) to surf the web....

[/threadhijack]

Windows XP should have drivers for the chipset that will work to get you up-n-running. I would recommend once you get your internet up again to go to the mobo website and download the latest drivers. XP and the disc that came with your mobo may have old drivers...I do this routine when I build new systems.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom