Do I need to get a new motherboard with different chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezer

Solid State Member
:( Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. : 3D support for DirectX 9.0c shader model 2.0, Open GL* 1.4 The intel G31 chipset use the GMA 3100, which is DX 9 capable. The 3D core lacks the hardware accelerated vertex shaders. However, the RAMDAC is reduced to 350MHz, and the DVO ports were reducedto225Mpixel/s . Does not have Hardware Transform and Lighting.

Can I still play a game that has (HTL)Hardware Transform and Lighting graphicsreqiurements if I use a graphics card that has hardware transform and lighting even if the chipset graphics doesn't support (HTL)?
The fact that the chipset doesn't support ( HTL ) means that I can't use a GPU with HTL to play a game that has HTL requirements?
Is it possible to use a HTL capable GPU and just turn off the intergrated graphics in the bios or does the chipset lack of HTL support stop you from being able to do this ?
These are the graphics requirements for the game are :
Video: 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 class card or above (Note: Systems with video cards that only meet the minimum requirements are only supported in 800x600 resolution) DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers .
Sorry its such a long question .

Yes you can install a video card and disable onboard graphics. what motherboard do you have? cpuz will tell you if you do not know. CPUID

How much do you want to spend?

Exactly, hefe. Intel's onboard graphics, well, suck for gaming. A cheap graphics card would make a world of difference as any recent card (even the low end) would stomp what you currently have.

If nothing else, give us the make and model you your computer (who made it and what model number it is) so we can look up not only the motherboard specs but also what power supply you have.

This is a budget build I'm attempting for a game I wish to play . My old compuer just cant play the new expansions of the game .
I already have the motherboard ECS G31T-M7 V1.0 ( AMI Bios ), no CPU or GPU.
Thinking about 8600 GTS and Intel core 2 Duo or Dual core ( wanted a quad but too pricey).
Home made ( metal )case with all the PowerATX switches, reset switch and leds set in the case( from a very small, old micro atx case), motherboard will be set onto an old micro atx motherboard mountboard with standoffs that will take micro or standard atx motherboard (was cut out and reset in new case ) all the I/O ports front and back (not using I/O plate) are set in place . PSU mounting and exhaust , D.V.D and HDD mounts . Big removable perspex window with outlet for systems fan. The case is really big .
Seagate 160gb 7200 HDD , Aopen C.D ROM , and a very suspect looking 500w psu ( G power ATX ) ,2GB of PC2- 6400 DDR2 800 64 mb and a partridge in a pear tree .
I think the motherboard is windows vista premium capable but maybe only vista home basic , not sure . None of this is a put together yet.

Please forget about eh 8600. Just don't go there.

Depending on what you want to spend, look at the 4670 ($70 w/$10 MIR) or the 4830 ($100 w/$15 MIR).

If you are dead set on Nvidia, there's the 9600GT ($85 w/$25 MIR) and the 9800GT ($120 w/$20 MIR).

This is a good suggestion ^^

Also if you want to cutback even more..

the HD 4650 is a good choice too, but barely faster than an 8600gt... (but Price for performance ratio wise, the HD 4670 is miles better)

Thankyou for the suggestions on the video cards ,very grateful.
I take it from the feedback I've got , that when using a graphics card that supports (HTL) Hardware transform and lighting on a motherboard with a chipset that does not support (HTL) (When integrated graphics is turned off in the bios)I would be able to play a game with HTL requirements as the GPU is doing the HTL graphics proccessing.
This means that the need for a motherboard with a chipset that supports (HTL) Hardware transform and lighting is not needed when using a HTL capable GPU for playing a game with (HTL) graphics ?:amazed:

Ya, the motherboard has no effect on this, except when you want to make sure the card is the right slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom