Display driver has stopped ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to go and look to see what you were talking about...

Yes, you can use this with a 32-bit OS. The 64-bit it mentions is the memory interface of the card. Basically, that is how fast the card can access its own memory. It has nothing to do with your operating system. The newer cards use 256-bit memory interfaces, but work just fine in 32-bit systems.

No worries. :)

Let me the first to tell you... HP's Compaq tech support site sucks, and the number scheme sucks just as bad. I put in "Presario SR511onx" and it says there are over 300 models listed for it... Sheesh!

Anyway, if you have a 6150 chipset, you should have a PCI-E x16 slot on your motherboard. It is hard to figure what the actual problem is without more information. What exactly does the error message say? Letting Microsoft fix anything is asking for trouble... trust me.

I can't link you to the proper drivers on HP's website because I don't know exactly which model your's is. I can, however, give you links to Nvidia's drivers for it. Here is the last release:
ForceWare Release 169
And here is the beta release (the drivers are the newest and work, but have not been released for mass distribution and may have some rough spots):
GeForce Release 174

For as low as $25 (for a 7100 GS) you can get a graphics card that will drop right into your computer and bypass the onboard graphics. I would recommend not going for anything less than a 8400 GS, though. Here's a MSI version for $36 with a $10 mail-in rebate:
Newegg.com - MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Trotter,
I got the MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card graphics card and installed it, now my computer screen is black and I can't see how to install the software.

Can I install the software before I install the card?

Trotter,
I got the MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card graphics card and installed it, now my computer screen is black and I can't see how to install the software.

Can I install the software before I install the card?

Did you plug the monitor into the new card?

You need to connect the monitor to the port on the new video card you installed. Right now you have the monitor connected to the old video card.

You need to connect the monitor to the port on the new video card you installed. Right now you have the monitor connected to the old video card.

Thanks!

I'm a real noob and don't know how to do that.

Can you help with step by step direction or at least point me in the right direction, please.

Your monitor is currently plugged into the port circled in red. You need to connect it to a port that looks exactly the same and is located in the area circled in blue.

backpanelvb5.jpg

Hopefully that helps. :)

Your monitor is currently plugged into the port circled in red. You need to connect it to a port that looks exactly the same and is located in the area circled in blue.

backpanelvb5.jpg

Hopefully that helps. :)
Thanks!

Of course that did the trick! Duh! :eek:

I appreciate this forum for the professional way you help with even the simplest problem.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom