Disk partioning - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Disk partioning

the guy who made my computer separated my hard disk into 4 partions
C:/ 10gb fat32
D:/ 4gb ghost image(i dont know what he meant by calling it that) fat32
e:/ 80gb ntfs
f:/ 60gb ntfs

lately my c:/ drive is getting very close to too full(like 50mb left of space) and i have to delete a lot of stuff to make it work properly.
i was wondering if it was possible to put more space on the C:/ drive and take it away from another drive somehow and i want to know if i reinstall windows, will it delete all on c drive or all the drives.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
ninja troll

Default Re: Disk partioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by markflame View Post
the guy who made my computer separated my hard disk into 4 partions
C:/ 10gb fat32
D:/ 4gb ghost image(i dont know what he meant by calling it that) fat32
e:/ 80gb ntfs
f:/ 60gb ntfs

lately my c:/ drive is getting very close to too full(like 50mb left of space) and i have to delete a lot of stuff to make it work properly.
i was wondering if it was possible to put more space on the C:/ drive and take it away from another drive somehow and i want to know if i reinstall windows, will it delete all on c drive or all the drives.

Thanks for the help.
what os are you on? vista? xp?

is it possible to just reinstall all of the programs from the c drive to the e and f? i have my drive set up vaguely similar, where i have a partition for the operating sytem, a partition for programs and games, and a partition for movies and music. i have an external drive for making backups.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

If you're using XP, PartitionMagic can re-partition your harddrive without loss of data. Regardless, though, a good place to start reading about your options can be on the wikipedia article of Partition Magic:

PartitionMagic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i have xp, and i read that if i try to combine a fat32 and a ntfs partion, it deletes data
Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

That is true because they are two different formats. You could take the empty space of an ntfs partition and add it to your fat32 partition, which reformats the space your moving, if I recall correctly. To tell you the truth, I've never had to deal with multiple formats on one computer, so I don't know how it will all work, but I believe PartitionMagic can take empty parts, reformat it, and combine that with other partitions.
Closed Thread