Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

azfeniks

Solid State Member
Hi guys. I have a dilemma. I am planning to buy new computer for gaming and I have two choises. I need help to choose one.

1) Intel Core 2 E6600(2x2.4Ghz), 2048MB RAM Corsair DDR-2, 512 MB GeForce 7900GTX---price 1268 GBP(2365 USD)

2) AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2048MB RAM Corsair DDR-2, 256 MB ATI Radeon x1900GT---price 910 GBP(1697 USD)

Other configurations are the same for both machines.(including monitor etc.)
First machine is monster but expensive. Second machine is easily upgreadable and cheap. But I have never used AMD, so I don't now about there performance and quality. The thing is near future holds for us Vista and its DX10 which mean obsolete of our old graphic cards. And this mean that transfiguration from cheaper one will be less harmful rather than from 512mb GeForce 7900GTX.

In one hand I want play last games (near future releases like Company of Heroes and Medieval II:Total War.) and in another hand I am worried about next year and its problems and transformation to dx10.

So I need your help. Either I buy first option and enjoy my playing without hope to new upgrades(because of finance) or I buy cheaper one than easily upgrade to new technologies. I really can't decide.

I would go with the AMD machine as well... you will play all the games right now and still be able to upgrade in the furure once the new hardware is out.

Yea, I'd say #2 with an AMD X2 4400+, and then just overclock it to a 5000+, if you want to buy some good cooling system, maybe a Zalman heatsink/fan or go all out with some water cooling. It's worth it in my opinion. AM2 is relatively new, so even if you upgrade your processor, your investment in the cooling system will still be good. I think old DDR1 cooling solutions work with AM2 as well.

Intel Core 2 DUO E6400(2x2,13 Ghz) 1066 mhz FSB/2 MB cashe

1) Does (2x2.13 Ghz) mean that actual speed is 4.26 Ghz?

2) Is cashe important while choosing computer if yes then why?

i would choose AMD, I hear they are better for games. Also, I would go with the Nividia card, over the ATI, mostly because I have always had good experience with the GeForces ,(never used ATI).

so, 2nd package with a GeForce card.

1.No each core runs at 2.2 there really isn't a program/game that needs both cores to run on so each core does 2.2 and u really can't add them up like that.

2. Its the internal memory of the processor its when the cpu has to do high math it can store some information in there and use it so it don't have to take longer for it from the ram using the BUS which in the end it can complete 1 thing in 1 clock cycle rahter then taking 2 cycles to complete it.

azfeniks said:
Intel Core 2 DUO E6400(2x2,13 Ghz) 1066 mhz FSB/2 MB cashe

1) Does (2x2.13 Ghz) mean that actual speed is 4.26 Ghz?

2) Is cashe important while choosing computer if yes then why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom