differences in computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofadra6on

Baseband Member
hey all, i was just wondering if there's major differences if you were to build a computer to perform different functions...like a gaming computer, computer for rendering 3D applications, etc

P.s. im just trying to gain some general knowledge on computers and building them..so any information is helpful!

Gaming computers require a higher powered graphics card, 3d rendering computers require a different kind of gpu (graphics card) as rendering has different needs than video games. Servers and home pc's don't need anything important for a gpu, just something to display. Servers, gaming rigs and rendering pc's all require decently powerful cpu's depending on how intense you want to get about it. Gaming pc's generally are the most powerful, and have the highest end components.

It's basically all down to the types of programs you run on the machine. Gaming computers have powerful GPUs because most games are very graphic oriented. Most servers need more powerful CPU's and faster HDD's, as they usually do a lot more data processing than usual.
It's all about what you're gonna be running most on the machine, and what kind of resources those things are gonna need.

so if i need a comp to do everything well i'd need to buy the best of the best stuff eh?

Not necessarily. My stuff is all High-End, but it's not the Best of the Best. The Intel i7 975 is the Highest-End Desktop CPU they offer at $999.99
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

But you can buy the i7 920 for $279.99 and buy a good heatsink for less than a $100 and it will perform as good or better with a little overclocking.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom