differences? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default differences?

im buying a alienware laptop for myself for christmas

and was wondering the benefits of
single vs sli 8700m 512
and 2gb vs 4gb of memory

if they would both benefit me greatly i will get them both but in order to keep my cost down i was wondering if either will make a huge difference or not

and i have cable internet is there still a problem with vista not giving you cable speeds?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie
Default Re: differences?

The SLI would probably help games when playing them at higher resolutions, though to be honest, most people around here don't think SLI is worth it.

I would get 4 GB of memory... but with current games it might not show much improvement. Many games simply don't require over 2 GB of memory. Though, I have seen one or two recommend 3 GB... Your call on that one... If it's too expensive to get 4 GB, it likely isn't worth it.

Haven't used Vista yet... so can't answer your last question.

Unless you specifically need a gaming machine that you can carry around... you might want to consider a desktop. You'll get more performance for a lower price that way...

Old 12-12-2007, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: differences?

alright thank you i'm going notebook because i already have a desktop and i attend alot of lan's and its a pain to haul around my desktop everywhere. plus that and i wont be bored out of my mind at work anymore lol
Closed Thread