Not open for further replies.
hI atomic tofu

HEY THANKS FOR THE LINK,i THINK i HAVE FOUND IT
I did a google on the # listed below and came up with this
Mother Board is:
p/n 411726100004

Ok now what do I do ?
Bigblue

That's only the serial neumber seen there which could still help once you know who manufacturered it. A small freeware called System Info for Windows(SIW) is found at SIW | System Information for Windows

You simply save that to any folder and double click on the file for it to provide all types of system information. The screen shot here shows how fast that works.

Dell computer...
Dell Dimension 2400 motherboard
I think the model should have been on the case :p...so that would have been a lot faster, lol

Documentation

dimension 2400 files
Drivers & Downloads

your system may or may not support a larger hd, it's actually not all that large in comparison to the lba restriction (large block address). Rechecking info, the size of the new drive is currently not the issue.

Your bios may have an auto configure option for the drive, which I would hope it does. Going into it and checking, could enable the bios to see and set the system for it. Perhaps the updated bios will also address this.

and just for kicks, are you sure the hd was installed correctly?

If your 80gb there which is most likely an ide drive it ships in the cable select position. You will likely need to see the drive's jumper set to master at the end of the cable.

This is not exactly an upgrade but i have the same computer on my work bench and the hard drive died. i put another drive of the same size different manufacturer in and get the f1 f2 messages and cant get it to see the drive. How can i manually force drive detection? The drive has been tested on other computers with out an issue...

Was it actually a bad drive or bad cable? When looking at any old system first assume any flat ribbon ide cables will likely need replacement since those will get dried out, stiff, and no longer reliable.

The second item is making sure if ide the drive's jumper is set correctly for the position on the cable. With some prebuilds the cable select not master or no jumper at all is seen rather then setting a drive as master as you would on a custom build. That can throw you off fast.

The third item is a familiarity with the bios setup for the boot order and even a list of hard drives when highlighting that item with some bioses like Award, Phoenix, AMI, etc. there. If the cd rom option or floppy is set as first and a disk just happens to be left in a drive there's no boot information to find resulting in errors.

When setting the hard drive as first and only in the boot order you force the system to look at the hard drive first and only. Most old systems see floppy, cd rom, and then hard drive or cd rom then hard drive when no floppy is included on a prebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom