Desperate Plea for Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
Ok, so heres is my predicament.... I am just going to lay it all out on the table for you guys even though I may sound like an idiot, but you can better recomend my next action.

I am building a gaming computer for my little step brother with my dad. He saved up his money and we ordered our parts offline then they all came in and I came over this weekend to put it all together.

I bought an 865 PE- A7 motherboard which uses socket 775 processors by accident, so my dad and I went and bought a processor to fit the socket, but all the other pieces are of the right specs. I went through the manual step by step in the setup, I checked the jumpers... then I screwed in the board, then we connected all the LED cables and other things to the MB. Then we connected all the power supply things and the DVD+HD. Everything was going fine, I put in the memory and my dad put in the video card while I was gone. When we realized the processor was wrong we got the new one complete with heatsink and fan and installed it (My father put the CPU in). So we cleaned up and went to start it up and there is no video, but the fans all ran and the CPU fan went. Well there was a step I missed in the manual with the 12V power connector, so I went to put that in and start it up and it made a noise and did nothing, well that was the wrong power connector, so my dad put the right one in and tried it, well it starts and then dies within a second or two. Well each time we started it up there was no video, but eventually we got it to start with the 12V auxillary plug in, but still no video, all the lights on the drives start and I get no error beeps, but NO VIDEO? So we tried an old video card in a PCI slot and still NO VIDEO...? So he thinks that he may have messed up the CPU or the MB and thats why the video aint coming up. (We also tried another monitor, and still no video!) So without any video I cannot tell if the POST is coming up, if there is a problem with the board, did we fry the board? If the pins are bent on the CPU somehow, would that be it? Or is there some step I missed that I needed to configure on the boards that would account for the video problem.

PLEASE, ANYONE... HELP.... Any answer, anyway to test things, i will provide any info needed, just give me ideas of what to try...

PS: Does Best Buy test computer components for you, and if so, would they test a MB for me?

I am really stressed out, been on crutches for 9 months now, in a lot of physical pain and I really need to get this over with, so I will honestly appreciate any valuable information from the people on these forums, I sincerely thank you guys in advance.

No beeps and I doubt grounding issues, my father is an electrician/telephone repairman... all I had was screching from the video card because I forgot its power initially, but I had it happen on my other comp and fixed it with no damage... so no beeps, sceeches or error codes at all.... I hope the MB is not shot :angry:

it may be possible that your dad may have inserted the CPU wrong, take it out and see if anything has broken, i mean anything on the mobo, cause u clearly changed the CPU. wait a minute. did you guys try to put in the wrong CPU and then realized it doesnt fit? cause that may be wat ruined the mobo.

Well, we immediately realized that the first CPU was wrong and we didnt try to put it in, but my dad is going to look over all the pins tomorow and make sure they are all straight...

Still need advice... my dad is going to try to look over/straighten the pins in like 2 hours... but is there anything else that comes to mind?

You got bad ram !!!

2 things can be wrong which can easily be tested.
Both of which I had great experience with....very recently(last week).

First of all, you could have bad ram. This seems to be very common....especially from newegg....

(My friend ordered an x2 system from newegg, he put it together......he's a pc noob just like you, so i had to come over and show him that its bad ram, i proved it to him by showing him what the post card halt code, and then i booted the unit on his old ram)

Put some working ddr ram in there and try to boot it. Make sure you get the ram from a working pc, or borrow some from your friends..

The other problem is, you may be overloading your power supply.
The wattage sticker is only a guess, unfortunately......

A cheap power supply is usually light, made with cheap parts, and these parts offer low efficiency and reliability.

This can be tested by running the bare minium........
Only plug in the following....
Processor fan
Video card(if not built in).....leave all the other pci cards out
1 hard drive(the one with least capacity)
you can leave the hard drive unplugged, if the previous test fails.....

If the power supply is the culprit....I recommend something in the 400-500 watt range from the manufacters...
PC Power Cooling (80-90% efficiency)
Antec (~70% efficiency)

Also, invest in a post card....they are like $20-30 on ebay.....

MAKE SURE YOU READ MY POST ENTIRELY, I SUGGEST TRYING these in order
PSU TEST
RAM TEST
POST CARD

Thanks alot, my dad wants to make sure all the pins on the CPU are ok, then if it is still not working I am gonna start trying your solutions in order, I will post with results ASAP.

PS: It could be RAM, we ordered one and the other is a stick from my computer that I am sure works, so possibly the new one that we ordered olffline is the culprit. Thanks so much for the tips. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom