Designing a PC for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
Okay, so a friend of mine has been saving up for a new casual-gaming computer since his current one is about as old as he is, and I'm usually the guy people ask around school for this sort of thing so he asked me to help.

Anyway, here are the parts I've chosen; keep in note I'm a tenner above budget so if you have any advice for changing parts try not to recommend anything much more expensive :)

HD8650WCGHBOX - AMD Phenom? X3 8650, Toliman Core, Socket AM2+, 2.3GHz, HT 3600MHz, 3.5MB Total Cache, Retail - Scan.co.uk - Just in the right price range.

Biostar TA790GX-A2+, AMD 790GX, SAM2/AM2+, PCI-E 2.0 x16, DDR2 1066/533/667, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk - Can do everything he needs it to for a relatively decent price. Would've gone for SLI but every AMD mobo I can find which does SLI is very pricey.

CM2X2048-6400C5 - 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 (800MHz), 240 Pins, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18, Lifeitme warranty - Scan.co.uk - It's what I have, works perfectly.

600W Silverstone Strider ST60F Quiet Quad SLi PCI-E EPS12v ATX Quad 12v v2.01 120mm Fan PSU - Scan.co.uk - Was going to go for a Corsair VX 550 but this is modular and was is tenner less in the sale. I've seen a lot of Silverstone stuff, it seems to be good enough.

512MB Palit 9800 GT, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 1800MHz GDDR3, GPU 600MHz, 112 Cores, 2xDL DVI-I/ HDTV - Scan.co.uk - This was my hardest choice, I have a GTX260 myself and this thing is FUGLY in comparison, but it's the cheapest 9800GT I can find; I just hope it works better than it looks :p

HDP725032GLA360 - 320 GB Hitachi 0A35411 Deskstar T7K500, SATA 300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQ - Scan.co.uk - Decent Hitachi, roughly big enough for his needs (hmm, that doesn't sound like an innuendo hunh?).

AK-ZEN-01V4 - Akasa ZEN V4 Tower Case Black - without PSU (NEW Version 4) Exclusive - Scan.co.uk - Perfect for his needs except one point - I'm not 100% sure a 9800GT will fit in it.

There's other stuff like a DVI-VGA converter, memory stick etc. which doesn't really matter.

So, anything you'd recommend I'd change, have I missed anything out (I know I haven't chosen a cooler, he wants to go for the stock one until he can buy a good one), etc.

Any help you can give would be great :)

Okay, it's been ordered now; we went for everything there except we went for an ASUS mobo.

You should have went with a Phenom II. You would of had better performance for the money, the X3's aren't that great.

You should have went with a Phenom II. You would of had better performance for the money, the X3's aren't that great.

All the phenom IIs I could find were about £50 more, and in the end the build was £20 overbudget :p

If you were on a budget, you would have been better off getting a X2 7750 BE. So much better than those triple-fail cores. They're 78 USD at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom