Designing my new system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Designing my new system

I have outgrown my current computer since starting my own business over the last 12 months so i am now looking for upgrade to something alot better.

I currently have a HP Pavillion
1.86 CPU, 2 Gb Ram, 120Gig HD, 17" Screen.

I do alot of work in illustrator and photoshop, and i am always running multiple programs at once.

My biggest problem is lag with Adobe software and freezing/jamming when i start to much at once.

At one time i normally running
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Photoshop
MYOB
CutStudio
Adobe PDF Viewer
Firefox Moz

I will also be needing to run Dual Screens, I want to use a bluetooth Keyboard and mouse which i already own. Using these keep my desk clear of cables and stuff

First question is do i head Mac or PC route.

Then once that decision is made, wat configurations and hardware do i go for to get the best machine i can.

Please help with some advice

thank you

Warren

Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Designing my new system

Hey dude. Definitely go with a PC, i dont think a Mac has ever been recommended here. Since your doing a lot of design work and such you'll be wanting a Quad Core. So with that being said and not knowing your budget:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVDĪR DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

TOTAL: $750 Aprox. (After any and all rebates.)

If you want to spend a bit more then upgrade to a Q9550 and a Biostar I45. But the above should do you rather well. The 9800GTX+ should help you when you use CS4 because it can be used to do the computational work and give the CPU room to breathe.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman3d View Post
i dont think a Mac has ever been recommended here.
Its happened tonight and I don't know if he was serious or joking.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Patron

If you have to have a mac then Hackintosh it (this requires loose morals) and look into iatkos mac osx. However as business you will want the legal route which is with an E-fix adapter and an install cd.
:: EFIX ::

To the above build I would spend extra money on a Lian Li case as it appears more professional and not a gaming computer....
Slow the ram to 6400 (800mhz) as I am guessing you won't be doing insane overclocks
A possible swap is the graphics card but as your a media professional not a 3 designer your in the middle between a gaming and a workstation graphics card
Newegg.com - ATI 100-505148 FireGL V3400 128MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards
Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
If you have to have a mac then Hackintosh it (this requires loose morals) and look into iatkos mac osx. However as business you will want the legal route which is with an E-fix adapter and an install cd.
:: EFIX ::

To the above build I would spend extra money on a Lian Li case as it appears more professional and not a gaming computer....
Slow the ram to 6400 (800mhz) as I am guessing you won't be doing insane overclocks
A possible swap is the graphics card but as your a media professional not a 3 designer your in the middle between a gaming and a workstation graphics card
Newegg.com - ATI 100-505148 FireGL V3400 128MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards
I agree, if your not gaming, definately get a workstation card as it will make things much better for PS and AI. I would also say 4GBs of ram is a great idea. I use most of those programs and the more ram, the better. I work on large format sheets (A0 and bigger) and you need it. I used to only have 1GB and would always get the 'you do not have enough memory to do this' bs. Since the upgrade to what i have now i have never had a problem.

The quad core will also help alot for mulitasking and rendering of effects (especially if you do any 3D work - but will help with effects in PS). So if you need to cut money from zedman's build get a smaller PSU (Corsair vx500), cheaper motherboard (P35 maybe) and cheaper hard drive. The ram and the cpu will help you the most.

This is also a good card (cheaper) i just put in my dad's pc for CAD work:

Newegg.com - PNY VCQFX370-PCIE-PB Quadro FX370 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Workstation Video Card - Workstation Graphics / Video Cards
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Actually Mac's are really good for video and photo editing, multi-media and graphic design and such. They are easy to use, but are more expensive compared to PCs. I had a lot of expericence with that stuff on a Mac. If thats all you're gonna do then you should get one. PC's althought have strong points in 3D editing, but if your going to game a little as well, then go for a PC.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techalicious

Send a message via MSN to Redmo0n

I hate macs simply for the fact that the video/photo/graphic design guys use them. Its kinda like "Look at me and my overpriced system, oh no i can't play any of those brutish video games, but who would want to? Oh but i can whip up a quick presentation of why Starbucks is so great".

Go PC.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Wink Re: Designing my new system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmo0n View Post
I hate macs simply for the fact that the video/photo/graphic design guys use them. Its kinda like "Look at me and my overpriced system, oh no i can't play any of those brutish video games, but who would want to? Oh but i can whip up a quick presentation of why Starbucks is so great".

Go PC.
True, I've helped out a lot with presentations on macs concerning why Starbucks is so great.

.... j/k

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I work on printed and vinyl cut signage. I have designed stuff upto 3 meters long, this was a nightmare for my laptop and would have cost me upto 1 extra hour due to lag time.

I want to get a lot of ram, and lots of hard drive space to store all the old artwork just in case of repeat sales which happens alot recently.

I dont play much games, dont really have the time for it.

a little more info for you.

I currently only have 2 external items i need to adapt into the new system. Canon Printer for my invoicing and printing small drafts of my desgns, and a Vinyl Cut Plotter.

Canon and be USB or Network Cable, and the plotter is LPT1 or USB.

I will be increasing this to a 3rd printer next year if things go to plan which will be a Print and Cut Vinyl Plotter.

As for Buget. Im in Australian, looking Probably around $2000-2500 AUD

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman3d View Post
Hey dude. Definitely go with a PC, i dont think a Mac has ever been recommended here. Since your doing a lot of design work and such you'll be wanting a Quad Core. So with that being said and not knowing your budget:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98WYDFH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVDĪR DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

TOTAL: $750 Aprox. (After any and all rebates.)

If you want to spend a bit more then upgrade to a Q9550 and a Biostar I45. But the above should do you rather well. The 9800GTX+ should help you when you use CS4 because it can be used to do the computational work and give the CPU room to breathe.
That's a nice build if you do go with it. I would change the GPU and the HDD to this:
Newegg.com |Seagate 500gig sata HDD. I own 5 of them and there warranty is longer then WD
Newegg.com | Zotac 9800GTX+ the reviews are better, also I own them both, there great!

Closed Thread