Dell vs HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire_Slayer

In Runtime
Well I can't afford to build a custom computer from monarch or pcclub, and I'm not going to build my own pc again(I just want the whole thing at once, and if even one part is bad I can send it back without having to go through a lot of troubleshooting and exchanging parts to diagnose what might be wrong, I'm done with building computers for the time being)...So after much research I have narrowed my search down to two PCs, the Dell E521 and the HP Pavilion a1600n(I don't want to buy a manufactured computer, but funds say otherwise). They are pretty similiar...They have the same processer(x2 3800+), the same memory(1g ddr2 dual channel 533), the same motherboard chipsets, expansion slots, same onboard graphics and video....The main diff between them is that the Pavilion has lightscribe on the dvd-rw and 40g of more hdd space (200 vs dell's 160), with a different looking case although the psu and front/back plug ins are nearly identical and the Dell has a 7300LE(wow....woot?). I was going to put my old x800xl and sound blaster live cards in the one I buy and someday, in who knows how long from now, there is a chance that I may be able to afford the upgrade to 2g of dual channel ddr2 667....

So my main question is.....Who has better customer service/quality? Dell or HP? The HP costs only $5 more. Thx for reading.

I would go with the HP sure its a little more but it is definately going to be faster.

If your gaming you will need a better graphics card for todays games.

Thx for the advice, as for a better graphics card.....Maybe someday, but I have confidence that my x800xl will last me for awhile, I mean I don't need to play the latest games on super high settings, I can go medium and even low if need be.

I'm not a fan of Dell either, but when they started using AMD I decided to give them a shot and check them out, and the price was right(unusual for a Dell PC, as I remember they used to charge quite a bit for stupid parts). Also couldn't believe that you could put non-Dell parts into them nowdays, much less that it wouldn't void the warrently at all.

HP and Lenovo...they are the best prebuilt computer makers...don't buy anything dell makes except for some monitors

HP is a good brand, support is decent. I recommend them over Dell on a daily basis at work. One nice thing about HP too is that Circuit City recently started doing warranty work for them. So if you have a problem and you're covered by HP's waranty you can just bring it to a Circuit City and they'll do diagnostics on it, get the parts and do all the labor totally free for you. This is great because you won't have to call India and beg for them to mail you parts.

Alright, thx guys. I think I'm going to go with the HP, it costs the same as the dell if you get it at bestbuy only it also comes with lightscribe and 40g more memory. As for circuit city, I have heard that its not that great of a store to buy from...Plus its $35 more there but with an $85 rebate (which I have heard that they don't really honor their rebates). Walmart sells it $5 more...Which store would be the best to buy it from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom