Dell Upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
Default Dell Upgrade

So my current Dell Vostro 200 is about to get replaced and I'm receiving funding to upgrade it so that my cousin can get a few more years out of it. Looking to upgrade the best I can without changing the Mobo since that would require a new OS.

I'm thinking of putting in:
CPU: Intel Pentium E5700 Wolfdale 3.0GHz.
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR2 800.

Currently running a 8600GT GPU and I want to put in a newer card, just wondering if PCIe 2.0 x16 cards are backward compatible with the old-school PCIe x16 slot I have.

Any suggestions on what I can do for this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Dell Upgrade

Make sure that RAM is on Crucial's compatibility list with that system. Dell can be picky at times. The RAM you chose is 800, the memory currently in there is 667. If it doesn't take 800, it will run it slower than it actually is.

I wouldn't push a new gfx card. That system probably has a very low PSU, enough for the parts in it to work. Not intended for upgrades. With that small a case, the PSU is not probably the normal size.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
Default Re: Dell Upgrade

The system says it can take 667 or 800, but that specific ram wasn't on the crucial site, although it did say each slot maxes at 1GB, so may need to do 4 sticks instead of 2. I plan on junking the ram that is in there now, or handing it off to a buddy.

Guess I need to crack this egg and see whats inside. I wouldn't have a problem doing minor mods for a larger PSU, or just rocking a frankenstein external mount or something, I doubt this kid is going to be too picky on looks.

*Edit - So dimensions on current PSU are 5.25"L x 5.75"W x 3"H, there is some wiggle room though, might be able to squeeze in a 350-400w PSU.
Closed Thread