Dell Studio Slim 540s Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just going to build a new computer. I have a Radeon HD6770 card that I bought for the Studio build. It is PCI e 2.1x16. All the 775 socket mobo's that I could buy that support the mothercard are PCI e x16. From what I've read, these will not support the 2.1 version (I had originally read some posts that stated PCI e was backward compatible...I later read posts that stated that it was not, unless the board had a BIOS update that would support 2.1). The ASUS board did not have this update. Also, one post stated that the DDR5 on the video card would "fry" the motherboard. So, I'm possibly going to get an Intel i5 with a 1155 lga mobo--probably a Bioware.

I'm just going to build a new computer. I have a Radeon HD6770 card that I bought for the Studio build. It is PCI e 2.1x16. All the 775 socket mobo's that I could buy that support the mothercard are PCI e x16. From what I've read, these will not support the 2.1 version (I had originally read some posts that stated PCI e was backward compatible...I later read posts that stated that it was not, unless the board had a BIOS update that would support 2.1). The ASUS board did not have this update. Also, one post stated that the DDR5 on the video card would "fry" the motherboard. So, I'm possibly going to get an Intel i5 with a 1155 lga mobo--probably a Bioware.
It is indeed backwards compatible with no updates needed.

No the VRAM on the video card will not fry anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom