Dell Precision T3500

bpm55

In Runtime
I have a co-worker that designs antennas. He and I did a comparison of his Dell Precision T3500 vs my custom build. His computer has 24gb and Xeon 8-Core. The GPU is an ATI Card, but the software is Cuda enabled.

In our comparison his computer took 18.5 hours to complete the calculations, while mine to 7.2 hours. I enabled Cuda to run on my GTX 770.

We want to go to our boss and state the case for a GPU upgrade for his computer, but I wanted to check here for suggestions on the path to take.

Do we need to change the PSU, the dell site says up to 2 GPUs for a total of 150 Watts. Also what GPU should we suggest? I am thinking a GTX 780 Ti or something similar to really boost his performance. The card will only be used for calculating and as the output to the screen nothing else.

The program does allow double precision floating point, but since he has never used it I don't think that is relevant.

This is the site for the program.

You will need a new PSU in that thing if you want to run something like a 780ti.

If the program allows DP then something like a Titan or Titan Black would be much faster at crunching than the 780ti.

The program allows DP, but he doesn't care to use it.

What PSU would you suggest? I think we are thinking of going with a 780ti, 780, or 770. Depending on the amount we can get the manager to fork over.

We are going to suggest the 780ti first and see what he says, but I want to get a parts list together to send over with the results.

Back
Top Bottom