Dell not recognizing new sata drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenhorn31

Beta member
New hard drive "HD 250G|SAMSN 7K 8M SATA2 SP2504C"
existing 40gb ata
xp home
The samsung drive requires a jumper if system isn't capable of 3.0gb/s, I've tried with or with out jumper and it's not there. I've tried connecting to both connectons sata 0 and sata 1 on the m/b.
Please help before I lose it...I've built so many computer I've lost count but every time I open a Dell case it's another nightmare for the simplest of tasks. Thanks in advance.

Green

Ooops my bad it's a 4600 dimension.

Ok, after an hour on the phone with Dell support, the following is what it took for the computer to recognize the new hard drive..it's really ugly so hang on...

1) Sata drive connected to "Sata 0" on the motherboard
2) disconnect existing ata drive, ide cable and power
3) restart computer enter BIOS - for my machine it's the F2 key
4) turn on all three lights on the keyboard for "numlock, capslock, scrollk"
5) hit alt + E then alt + F
6) go to system event in BIOS, hit enter and hit clear events
7) hit esc then esc again and choose save and exit
8) when it restarts shut it down and reconnect the existing ide and power cable
9) restart and enter BIOS
10) repeat steps #4 and #5
11) hit esc and choose save and exit
12) enter BIOS again and go to drive configuration and you should now see your drive
13) I'm back to normal with the ATA Drive just like it was and the new 250gb sata is now formatting for extra storage.

W O W !!!!!!!!!!

That is why there is only one dell out of 7 machines in my house and it's on it's way out. I added a third drive my machine that I built and it took all of 5 minutes. This one wasted my entire evening. But then again you get what you pay for....oh wait it's a Dell never mind, no you don't. :>P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom