Dell Inspiron 530

bentobaku

In Runtime
I am looking to upgrade my machine. I have the Inspiron 530 [Dell P/N ORY007 mobo]. I have done some research and read that this particular mobo cannot support quad processors. My question is based off of a duel core. Some site mention only a select list of processors that will work with this mobo. I have found [Intel Pentium D 945 3.4Ghz 800Mhz 2x2Mb socket 775 Dual-core Cpu] on sale fairly cheap, but it does not mention it on the acceptable list. Someone on one of the forums mentioned this same processors and they were told it would not work. Is this because it was a dell.com forum and it is not on the list, or is there some reason this processor truly will not work? everything else I have read says everything is ok. I even found a site that had a chart of the necessary specs for the mobo and it too says the processor should work. the cache is fine, the fbs is fine, they are both socket775. Do you know of any reason this will not work? All the processors on the compatible list are like $200, and for $350 I could just by a new kit pc, versus spending $50 and upgrading my processor.

As usual any help is appreciated.

Josh

According to Google you should already have a Core 2 Duo e2160. Is that correct?

According to specs, that motherboard will support Wolfdale C2D chips like the e8400, e8200 ect. Pentium D's are not good at all, and if you already have an e2160 then buying a Pentium D is a complete downgrade.

According to Dell, these are the supported CPUs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor

Intel® Celeron® processor

The Pentium D is not listed, I think, because that board, probably cut down, is not meant to support it.

ok ty for the responses... looks like I will have to wait and just save up some money. The Core 2 Duo's are more than I have to spend, and imo too big of an investment for a DDR2 Mobo. Seems even used these things are almost $100. :(

Back
Top Bottom