Dell Dimension 4600: Removal of Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadmax

Beta member
I'm upgrading my system, but the Dell Dimension 4600 case offers little room for expansion. So, I bought a new case...

*Starts to disassemble*

The removal of the 4600 motherboard cannot be done without first removing the four CPU heatsink screws. The screws, however, are fixed from the opposing side of the motherboard tray. Access to the other side of the tray is only possible by removing the other side panel (the real problem). The top and side of the case is one piece, and it's fixed with many rivets that cannot be undone with an ordinary screwdriver. Has anyone worked with the 4600 and encountered this same problem? Any success? I feel like I'll be forced to cut through metal, and that wouldn't be any fun. Thanks for any response!

I'd say hack away at it, Because first of all, you have a new case and secondly, Dell's cases are so butt ugly it's ridiculous.

I just checked on the DSCE site and here's what you gotta do.

Take out the screws on the mobo where the arrows are.
systemboard1ti5.jpg

Take out the four screws under the HS

systemboard2fx9.jpg

when you're done with that just pop it out.

XPS? Ewww and a half. Atleast that's my opinion, I hate all their cases and they couldn't be setup any worse for airflow.

Hey

I appreciate the help, bobojuice. First and foremost, I was unfamiliar with how the heatsink secured itself to the cpu. Once I deciphered Dell's peculiar contraption, I was able to unlock and detach the hs. This revealed the 4 magic screws which ultimately solved the problem. Thank you!

Dell loves to do that to people. I think the engineers over in their production department get off on it. "How can we make taking this computer apart more retarded?"

It's not that they make it hard to take apart, it's actually quite easy. It's figuring out how to do it that's a *****.

Glad you got it working.

Now now, Dell cases look alright, compared to the cases some people get away with buying...

Upgrading a Dell PC is an ever-going cycle. You actually need a new case, and with that, you'll want a new PSU (300W just doesn't cut it - and OVP reboot while playing SimCity 4...?), a new motherboard (where did my PCI slots go?), a new CPU heatsink (my kitchen sink is smaller than Dell's bit of plastic stock trash), etc. O_______o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom