Decent, upgradable, gaming buy for around $700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepingLesson

Solid State Member
Looking to get a decent rig for playing some PC games, but I'll be looking to upgrade down the line. I've got about $700, but I would hate to spend all of it unless I was really getting a killer deal.

I'm not terribly confident in building, but I'm not really sure what's involved there...

I've been comparing prices online, and I keep going back to this: Gamer Ultra SLI GT. Am I paying too much because I'm not building it? Also, is this even a deal? I don't plan to run Crysis anytime soon, just some Star Wars Galaxies :)laughing:) and some home music recording.

I realize there's plenty of alternatives out there, but this one jumped out at me. Opinions greatly appreciated! :)

POWER SUPPLY: 680 Watts Power Supplies (Hush Power Supply SLI/CrossFire Ready)
CPU: AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
COOLING FAN : XtremeGear Ultra Heatpipe Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI K9N SLI-F V.2 NVIDIA nForce 570 LT SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

Not good for the price..

If you are completely not confident about building, here's what you do..

- Buy the Barebone version of that Rig aka, everything except: GPU, RAM, Hard Drives, DVD Drives, NIC's
- Go on Newegg and buy that stuff separately

You'll end up with a much better rig for cheaper

But for $700 you can do an e5200 rig or X2 7750 BE rig that smokes that rig..

Hm, noted. That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you.

Can I buy a "barebones" PC shell somewhere? I'm comfortable putting in RAM and such, but I'd hate to break some hardware because of my lack of knowhow. Not that I'm unwilling to learn, of course, it can just be intimidating to someone who's never built a PC.

Ah, any bit I can shave off is great! I am buying this with my student aid, after all. -_-'

Replaced a couple of things, here's the new ones:

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

HIS Hightech H485FN512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Video card is the same price as the other one, is it any better?

($643 with tax and shipping)

I built the rig in my sig for liek 640. Amd dual cores in my opinion are way too slow at this day an age. Ya you can get by if you've already got one, but why now buy old technology? I went from an amd x2 to now a phenom II 720 and it's a world of difference. I would really recommend going with a phenom II if you can spend the extra cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom