Decent Quote? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well what could I do to better prepare my pc for the future? I can barely afford getting this pc now, let alone another one in a year or two.

And is this the processor that I would want? It doesn't seem like it would be, 1GHz?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well first off, find out what mobo that is.. Sounds like a cheap mobo. Second, no system out there is future proof, nobody really knows whats gonna come out or what gonna happen. Just look at the 7800GTX's, They are getting bottlenecked by even the top of the line AMD FX series CPUs. You could drop the CPU down to a 3200, and up the video card to 6800 maybe even a 6800gt, if the prics drop like there suposed to by the time you buy.

AMD X2 555 unlocked to X4 B55 @3.5 | 8GB GSkill Sniper series | Asus M4A89GTD Pro/Usb3 | 2x XFX HD6850 | 600W OCZ ModXStream | Thermaltake V9 Black edition | Corsair H50 | 2x 1TB Samsung HD's
Old 08-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well, I'm most likely not going to buy from them after hearing that I can get it a few hundred dollars cheaper building it by myself. So what would be a good motherboard?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Teh noob

You ask what is the problem with dell? Well my mate had a dell dimension 2400 desktop. When he wanted to upgrade to play the latsest games- long story short- he could not. Crap mobo- no agp, no pci express etc.

Anyway he went for a kinda budget orienated gaming machine which should do him for a good bit into the future

just for your reference this is what he got.

leadtek 6800gt graphics

amd athlon 64 venice 3000

Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250GB (Socket 939) Motherboard

1024 mb value ram

basic case with power supply and fan

basic dvd re writer drive

Now he already has a monitor with his old dell and I'm sure from time to time he may upgrade but at least from day one he has super graphics and a 939 athlon 64. If you really don't want to be upgrading in a couple of years and you want super graphics then that is what I suggest

Closed Thread