Decent Core 2 Quad build? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Decent Core 2 Quad build?

This Christmas I plan to spoil myself with a new computer, so I figured, why not get a Quad core. So I set a budget of roughly $1,000 and came up with this:

Case: Raidmax Tornado
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Monitor: Asus 20"
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870
PSU: RAIDMAX 700W (Overkill I know, but I plan to buy a second card soon)
RAM: Corsair 4gig DDR2
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Total cost of all this is around $988. Anyone have any suggestions on anything I should change, or just keep it as is?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Decent Core 2 Quad build?

Well I'm no fan of high priced Intel CPU's , I f I were building that comp , I would go with :
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor - Retail Price under $200 , $50 less that your Intel, and 3.4Ghz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail about $4 less than your choice andwith DDR3 not DRR2 memory. If your building a new comp I would go DDR3 mem.
GPU: Not a fan of ATI , Nvida is my choice, always great support and easy driver installs, but thats a personal choice.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

You're kind of in no-man's land with that CPU. I would either go for the AMD Phenom, or take that extra leap into i7.

That video card is pretty good, but maybe try to get the newer gen cards that support DX11. The 5770 is close in performance. And i'm not sure about the PSU; try to get one made by a company thats known for its quality PSUs... raidmax isn't one of those companies.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

If going with the 965 maybe u should get the newer 125w. I believe it runs cooler at stock speeds and OC's considerably better too. only $5 more
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

also, if you were going to run dual gfx card, youd have to buy a new mobo altogether because that one only has one pcie x16 slot.

but i would wait until youre ready to buy so that you can take advantage of combo deals at newegg that are going on at that time. when buying a complete new rig like this, all the small savings from combos add up for big savings.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
but i would wait until youre ready to buy so that you can take advantage of combo deals at newegg that are going on at that time. when buying a complete new rig like this, all the small savings from combos add up for big savings.
how much is newegg paying you to say that?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

???

i dont know if youre jk or being serious here...

he can use wutever site he wants to, but im just pointing this out because when people come here to help them with a build, the combos allow to squeeze in better parts for the same amount of money or less.

if there is somewhere that will allow you to save more money, ofcourse im gonna mention it because not everyone can spend as much money as they want.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

i just kidding dude, Chill.

"all the small savings from combos add up for big savings" sounds like a line from a commercial or something... so yea thats why i said that.

Quote:
not everyone can spend as much money as they want.
ok, NOW you're toying with me....