Decent AM2+/AM3 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
I am looking for a motherboard, but I am having trouble finding it.
I don't want to spend much, but it must be a decent overclocker.
I need it to have DDR2 memory slots, and support for Phenom II x6.
6+ chokes preferred.

Could you guys give me a few ideas on a decent motherboard that will do what I want it to do?

$80 or less. (including tax and shipping)
I know it's a bit of a challenge to find a board with my requirements, but you fellas are smart. Help me out :)

EDIT: That's $80 or less preferred, because I want to be impatient and buy it this friday instead of waiting two weeks when I'll actually have some money.
If I have to wait two weeks, make it $200

Recap:
Motherboard that supports Phenom II x6 1055t 125w
Support for DDR2
Must be a decent overclocker (the more phases the better)
$80 AND $200 budget. One of each if you can find them.

Thanks!

EDIT #2: $25 over budget on the $200 max. $5 over budget on the $80 max.

I'd like that board but I don't trust a lot of the sites on Google's list, and the ones I do trust are overpriced. I could get a 890x board for those prices.
I'm seriously thinking about this one:Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G ATX AMD Motherboard $67. Free shipping. Enough phases to get me up to around 4ghz, uses DDR2.
The only problem I see with it is that it has no MOSFET coolers.

Compare that boards chokes with this one: Newegg.com - ASRock N68-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

I see 10 total chokes for the Biostar board, and 4 total for the Asrock. That has got to give me some headroom to overclock around 4ghz.
The only problem is that I'll likely have to steal my sisters older AM2 chip to flash the BIOS. But I think I can handle that.
I might have to reinstall Win7 too..

can you overclock if the max wattage on the board is 125 and the chip is 125? Doesn't that leave no headroom? How do you know all them chokes are connected?

There are 5 for CPU, 1 for northbridge, 2 for memory, and 1 for.... something. on the Biostar.
There's 2 for CPU, 1 for northbridge, and 1 for memory on my current board.

As explained by Apokalipse. The reason my board isn't stable at higher voltages/frequencies is because of the limited number of Phases.
You can read about it near the end of my thread titled "upgrading processor, Phenom II x4 940 or Phenom II x4 965" or something like that.
Apokalipse replied with a good explanation of what a choke is and what it does. They are easy way of counting phases, and the more phases the more stable the power is going to whatever they are connected to.

So I'm going from 2 to 5 if I buy this Biostar, which looks like a real possibility on this Friday if I don't hear any more input from some knowledgeable hardware gurus.
Come on guys! I know you're smart! Help me out!~

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2&cm_re=Asus_Crosshair-_-13-131-292-_-Product

Supports DDR2? check
Supports Phenom II x6 1055t? check
Good for overclocking? check
MOSFET coolers? check

I will wait 2 weeks and buy this. I'm buying a new 750w power supply this week instead of a crappy low-end motherboard. This way I get to troubleshoot my issues some more and I'll have a nice setup later.
Best of both worlds if ya ask me.

BUMP:

I know it's a premature bump, but my former post seems as if it's case closed. And that just isn't the case :)

I now have around $400 to spend on a motherboard in 2.5 weeks. This means I can afford pretty much anything.

However, I want a motherboard that supports DDR2.
I'll start looking on Newegg myself, but, if any of you know of any high-end motherboards that support DDR2 and the Phenom II x6 1055t 125w please post here and let me know

EDIT:
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom