Debating on parts for a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerman2442

Solid State Member
I was recently planning on buying my friend's old PC but there are a few problems with the graphics card and chipset overheating as well as driver issues that I don't feel like putting my time and energy into fixing, as the computer's hardware is already outdated.

I have been playing around on NewEgg and TigerDirect looking for parts for a mid-range budget PC. I figured it is going to cost $600 - $700 for what I want. Here are the parts that I am considering getting. I'm really a strong AMD fan but I wouldn't fully turn down any Intel options. Let me know what you guys/gals think. Is there something else I could get more bang for my buck with, something I am missing, etc.

I am planning on using Windows Vista 64-bit, maybe upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit later on.

Case - Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I like this case because I've used the brand before and I like their quality, airflow, and tool-less design better then other brands of the same cost.

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Corsair makes nice products and I want something reliable and able to handle the Geforce GTX 260.

Mobo - Newegg.com - ASUS M4N82 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Want this because it is an AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 so I can start with a lower grade processor that fits my budget and upgrade later. Also supports up to 16 GB of RAM and 2-way and 3-way Sli, which I doubt I will ever use, but just in case. Oh… and I prefer ASUS.

RAM - Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400ELK - Desktop Memory

Not planning on over-clocking anything on this system but I want quality parts. Patriot makes some nice RAM and it was the cheapest of the other 2 x 1 GB sticks. Plan on buying another pair for 4 GB total when the money rolls in. J

CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9600 Quad Core Processor HD9600WCGDBOX - 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com

Again, starting out with a decent processor, but nothing that blows me out of my computer chair. With this motherboard I can always upgrade to an AM3 Phenom II X4. Going with TigerDirect on this one because they are including the heatsink and fan. The one on NewEgg doesn't say it is included, meaning it probably isn't.

GPU – Newegg.com - Recertified: EVGA 896-P3-1265-RX GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Main reason for this graphics card it that it is a decent mid-range card that should be able to play any game on the market currently, at least on low settings. (Mostly play Counter-Strike 1.6, Counter-Strike: Source [and other Steam games], and World of Warcraft.)

HDD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

And again, starting off with something cheap to get my up and running for less money. 80 GB should be plenty enough for Vista, WoW, a few other games, and applications.

Figured it up to be around $650 with S&H charges. Am I forgetting anything? I already have a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and disc drive.

Thanks

dont go with the old phenoms, the newer ones are much better in every way. they use less power, give more performance, and overclock better. these parts would be better and they cost just a bit more than your current setup.

$669 + shipping ($40 back in rebates)

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

you get the corsair 750w, so you are set if you want to throw another 4870 in there. the 4870 can be considered the equivalent to nvidia's gtx 260 for the most part. take a look here. http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

you get 560gb more of storage, 2gigs more of ram, a better cpu and mobo with a better chipset for like $20 more.

You're the man... the Muffin Man that is. :p

So would the Phenom II X3 outperform the old Phenom X4? Guessing so, just double checking? Think the stock heatsink and fan with the CPU is going to be good enough? Should I buy a better brand of thermal paste? In my opinion Arctic Silver is the best.

Hope these combos last for a week or two. Still gathering the cash to buy this system. Shouldn't be long though. Really appreciate the help Muffin. And if anyone else has any input feel free to post a reply.

the 720 is defenitely better. it is also the black edition so it has an unlocked multiplier so OCing couldn't be simpler. If you aren't going to be OCing, or just OCing a bit, the stock heatsink and fan will work. the stock one already comes with pre-applied thermal paste, but if youre gonna buy an aftermarket one, id get tuniq tx-2 Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

the combos might last that long, i guess it depends on newegg's stock. ive seen some combos last weeks, and some that come and go in a couple days, so as soon as possible id say.

Hey on NewEgg under the specifications for the motherboard is says, Memory Standard DDR2 1333 OC can I use any DDR2 RAM up to that speed, or only that speed? Other then that I think I have everything figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom