Dead pixel doom. (Good monitor to dodge dead pixels?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpellSword

Solid State Member
I just bought a new machine, now I'm looking for a new monitor to go with it. :)

I've been burned pretty badly in the past when buying LCDs. Dead Pixels! Even with blotches of dead pixels on the screen, a high minimum number of them are required before they are considered defective by most retailers. :(

Because of this, I've stayed away from LCD in favor of CRT until now, but I've heard that things have gotten a lot better. Still, are there any specific brands/models I should be looking at or staying away from dead pixel wise?

I'm kind of looking at a Samsung SyncMaster 931BW right now, but as I mentioned before, I'm worried about buying a new yet broken screen… again. :(

Actually, since quality control is a big factor today, most monitors don't have dead pixels. Samsung does make great monitors, but what is your budget?

Just dont order online. Spend a little bit extra and buy it from a place that has a flexible return plan, and if it has even one dead pixel just return it. Heck microcenter will most times even let you open it and plug it in to check for dead pixels.

Is it cold enough in Canada to kill the dreaded dead pixels? Maybe...

I'll look around for a place willing to provide an LCD with zero dead pixels then.

So far most of the ones I've spoken with offer 10 pixels, grouped… some offer 10 in a line. :)eek: Urrk!) The least I've come across is 7 dead pixels in a group, and none of those sound really great.

I asked the one store clerk, “So, if I have several lines of dead pixels, each 5 pixels long streaked across my screen, it still wouldn't count as defective?” He smiled and nodded, laughing slightly. I didn't see anything funny and left in disgust. Strange thing is, I think he still thought he was about to make a sale…

Does anyone know of any stores chains in Canada that provide such a warranty?
(I'm pretty sure microcenter is in America only. If there is one in Canada, I haven't found a listing for it yet.)

I have never seen a dead pixel and have gone to many LAN's and have owned 3+ LCD's. I believe samsung takes their LCD's back if they have only one dead pixel, probably because it never, ever, ever, happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom