Dead motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussein19891

Biostar Stole my heart
Whenever I turn on my computer, it will run for a second, the screen won't start up, I'll hear the CPU fan running and etc. The lights turn on, but besides that if I click any button on the keyboard the computer shuts off. At first I thought it was the Power Supply, but because the computer started up and the lights started up I quickly realized that wasn't the problem. I know that the CPU fan starts up but I don't know whether that means the CPU is alright or not. And as far as the Motherboard goes. I m guessing its the motherboard because even the start up screen doesn't start. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong?

Hope its my CPU because then I'll have an excuse to buy a new CPU with : D.
Here's the CPU I m eyeing.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Beats my old Athlon 4600+ 2.4ghz 89watts 90nm chip >.>

Could be your GFX card. Have you got anything to toss in it to rule it out?

You could try resetting cmos. My IP35-E occasionally won't display video when I set the cpu speed back to stock after overclocking but reseting cmos fixes it every time.

Could also be memory related? But that's just another slight guess. Most likely it's GPU related or some cmos setting that needs reset.

If it was my graphics card then my screen wouldn't start. Which is true that my screen doesn't start. But my computer comes on for a split second. The CPU fan starts working, the power supply fan starts working, then every thing turns off. I don't think its the power supply. Cause if it was nothing would start up. The CPU fan starts working so I think it isn't the CPU. When I connect the GFX card and the monitor the monitor doesn't flicker. So I m guessing the problem is not the Graphic card. Which only leads to the mother board.

So to nip this problem in the butt. I decided to get both a new motherboard and a new CPU............. Yeah I know I m taking any excuse I can for a new CPU : D

So what kind of Mother boards does any one want to recommend. Full Size ATX and around 70~80 dollars. Doesn't need SLI, but if its got SLI, then thats great too.

If you really want to buy a new mobo and cpu you might want to consider going with Intel. You could get an E2180 and EP35 DS3L for $160.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

This motherboard is cheaper than the DS3L but is still good if you need to save some money.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

If you really want to buy a new mobo and cpu you might want to consider going with Intel. You could get an E2180 and EP35 DS3L for $160.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

This motherboard is cheaper than the DS3L but is still good if you need to save some money.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Sounds cool, But I still can't let the past die. :' ( So I m trying to to stick with AMD for a little longer. Besides I hear that their 5000+ BE is really good. But then again with the new 45 watt Chips just in, they must be able to over clock a bit higher and at a lower price then some of Intels chips.

Just because the CPU fan turns on, doesn't meant the CPU is working. The fan is connected by it's own power connector and has nothing to do with CPU functionality other than to cool it. It could very well be your CPU, but I would still test the memory as well.

Ok I going test the memory and the graphics card just to be sure. As well as placing another CPU into the mother board to see if its the mother board or the CPU itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom