Is DDR2 memory going out of style anytime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
Is DDR2 going out of style anytime soon?

I'm not a very smart guy when it comes to computers, but it seems to me that the industry standard in mother boards is to equip them with "DDR2 240-pin" capability.
However, with DDR3 being out for a while now, despite the fact most reviews on it point out very little advantage of DDR3 over DDR2, I can't help but fear that DDR2 will become a dinosaur like good old SDRAM became.

My concern is not based on some kind of loyalty to a product, but is instead based on the fear of building a computer, choosing a mother board that runs DDR2 240-pin, only to have DDR2 become an over priced relic and DDR3 becoming ultra powerful and super cheap over night.

I want to build a computer and start with a good mother board that can slowly and steadily be upgraded. I fear buying a mother board and having everything it supports become obsolete before I have a chance to put some premium accessories on it and experiment with overclocking.

So again with the question: do you think DDR2 is going to remain relatively popular for another few years, or is it on it's way out the door? And if it's time has come, exactly what type of memory is most likely to replace it for the long haul?

well, you can buy 8gb of DDR2-800 for under 100 bucks. Might as well max it out now before any potential issues happen. I bought 2gb for 220 a couple years back...

DDR3 is the newest thing, its still high in price.

I wouldnt be so worried if I were you. Your budget will dictate which one to go with.

when performance gets better and more motherboard companies make the switch to DDR3, then it'll become a more viable option to get. however, you can still get a system on DDR2 RAM and upgrade it for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it going out of style for quite some time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom