Is DDR2 memory going out of style anytime soon? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Is DDR2 memory going out of style anytime soon?

Is DDR2 going out of style anytime soon?

I'm not a very smart guy when it comes to computers, but it seems to me that the industry standard in mother boards is to equip them with "DDR2 240-pin" capability.
However, with DDR3 being out for a while now, despite the fact most reviews on it point out very little advantage of DDR3 over DDR2, I can't help but fear that DDR2 will become a dinosaur like good old SDRAM became.

My concern is not based on some kind of loyalty to a product, but is instead based on the fear of building a computer, choosing a mother board that runs DDR2 240-pin, only to have DDR2 become an over priced relic and DDR3 becoming ultra powerful and super cheap over night.

I want to build a computer and start with a good mother board that can slowly and steadily be upgraded. I fear buying a mother board and having everything it supports become obsolete before I have a chance to put some premium accessories on it and experiment with overclocking.

So again with the question: do you think DDR2 is going to remain relatively popular for another few years, or is it on it's way out the door? And if it's time has come, exactly what type of memory is most likely to replace it for the long haul?

HP Pavilion 7920
901MHz Intel processor, 256MB SDRAM,
30GB & 250GB IDE Hard Drives (NTFS)
Audio= Intel 82801AA AC\'97 Audio Controller
Video= Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
OS= WinXP Pro / SP3 (32 bit)
Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Is DDR2 memory going out of style anytime soon?

well, you can buy 8gb of DDR2-800 for under 100 bucks. Might as well max it out now before any potential issues happen. I bought 2gb for 220 a couple years back...

DDR3 is the newest thing, its still high in price.

I wouldnt be so worried if I were you. Your budget will dictate which one to go with.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

when performance gets better and more motherboard companies make the switch to DDR3, then it'll become a more viable option to get. however, you can still get a system on DDR2 RAM and upgrade it for a long time. I wouldn't worry about it going out of style for quite some time
EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I won't go out of mainstream for another 1-2 years so your safe plus it doesn't matter once you have bought it your stuck with it.....
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart
Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
won't go out of mainstream for another 1-2 years so
More like 6-8 months. But by then the prices should be much cheaper. So unless your going with an i7 build, then you should grab some decent, and cheap DDR2 ram.

Closed Thread