DDR RAM problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy DDR RAM problems

I recently bought ram: 2 * 1Gb PC3200 {DDR400} I have four slots {2banks + 2banks}.
I already have 2*256mb PC 3200 {DDR400} of the same ram, not the same manufacturer though. I put everything in and all is fine. BUT I found a 512mb block of Kingston Hyperx PC4000 lying around!!! Now I dont know what I should put in my computer. 1*512 PC4000 + 2*1gb PC3200 + 1*256mb PC3200. After all I would have more ram {256mb} and since it's faster it will not slow the other rams down right But I have the feeling that the computer is a tad slower. Could this be? What combination should I use to have the best gaming results? I thought 512 PC4000 + 2GB PC3200 + 256mb PC3200 would be best since its more? Could it be that because the HyperX is faster that that has negative effects on performance? I heard you should have all the ram with the same speed. But a faster block wouldn't slow the system down would it? I could understand it with a PC2700 block {instead of the PC4000} that its slower, but PC4000? Please help me out. What combination should I use to have the best gaming results? Thanks guys

Oh almost forgot my cpu is a P4 3.4ghz with Hyperthreading Technology

Old 11-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

i would just use the 2gb if it were up to me..
Closed Thread