Current PSU inadequate for 9800 GTX, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmeade1

Beta member
Video Card
Purchased Rosewill RP500-2 500W Power Supply however the system will not turn on. I thing the current may be inadequate for the videocard, as it only puts out 18A and I need 24A minimum.

I was considering returning that PSU and getting CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W Power Supply

It's quite a bit more in price, but should run the videocard right? Any other suggestions without breaking the bank?

Thanks, it's my first build.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Retail
XFX PVT98FYDDU GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) XXX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Rosewill RP500-2 ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply - Retail
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model HH80562PH0568M - OEM
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK - Retail
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black USB Ergonomics Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM
Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
LG 20X DVD±R Super Multi DVD Burner Black ATAPI / E-IDE Model GSA-H55NK - OEM
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

I thought that Rosewill was rather a good budget PSU... Someone else will help you further though.
PS: The 650TX is very good, more than enough to run your system.

The Rosewill did have nice reviews, and I'm sure works well for most systems that aren't running such a demanding video card. Initially, it's why I chose it; good reviews and has the connections I needed.

The 9800 GTX literature says it requires 2 6-pin connectors (not a problem) but 24A minimum. Most of the modular (need explanation plz) PSUs can't get over 22A max on the +12V rails. I searched for one with over 24A and the Corsair (non modular, still needing explanation) linked above has it. I did notice only a single +12V rail? Is this compatible with the v-card?

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm hoping to get this answered and order today.

The Rosewill did have nice reviews, and I'm sure works well for most systems that aren't running such a demanding video card. Initially, it's why I chose it; good reviews and has the connections I needed.

The 9800 GTX literature says it requires 2 6-pin connectors (not a problem) but 24A minimum. Most of the modular (need explanation plz) PSUs can't get over 22A max on the +12V rails. I searched for one with over 24A and the Corsair (non modular, still needing explanation) linked above has it. I did notice only a single +12V rail? Is this compatible with the v-card?

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm hoping to get this answered and order today.

Most modular psu's have mutiple rails, and you add the total amount of amps, not only the single rail.

For example, my psu has 17A on each rail, for a total of 51amps.

I lose a few, due to it being modular but still plenty juice to run dual cards.

That rosewill should be running the card just fine, it has 36amps total, the 18 number is on each rail but you add both rails together.

That PSU should run the 9800GTX fine. I would look for another problem.

The q6600 doesn't use as much power as many people think it does. I just set it to 2.6ghz 1.25v and at full load prime95 it uses 56.25 Watts according to Asus EPU.

Of course when you put 1.488v through it and set it to 3.8ghz I'd imagine that number goes up by QUITE a bit.

It has only 1 6-pin PCI-e cable, and the card requires 2. It does, however, have an 8-pin. I have tried to use the supplied 8-to-6 converter, but still no video on monitor. The computer does power up, I barely hear the HDD turning (it's quiet) but no BIOS loads on the screen. The videocard's fan does come on.

In my second machine, the psu only has 1 pci-e connector as well, so i use a double molex to pci-e connector for the second card, and it works just fine.

Its a 380w psu and its powering a 65watt dual core, two 105 watt video cards, and an hd and case fans. Has no problems running all that 24/7.

Found the issue with the setup:

1.) 4-pin ATX +12V connection was NOT plugged in. (fixed that)
2.) The Rosewill PSU has only a single 6-pin PCI-e connector

The video card requires 2x 6-pin PCI-e cables. The 8-pin I spoke of is an EPS +12V connector.

So, looks like I need to purchase another PSU anyway with 2x 6-pin PCI-e cables.
Corsair PSU

Thank all of you who helped with this first build speedbumps, expecially my friend who pointed out the missing CPU power cable.

You dont need to purchase another psu.

Like i noted, you can use an adapter such as a double molex to pci-e, with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom