Crossfire question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjlambert

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Sorry for the basic question but my specs are as below in my sig - with my MB there is another PCI-E slot and I was wondering if I can Crossfire with that. I was going to plunk in another of my vid card perhaps - worth it? The main is 16x but the second seems to be 8x - does that work?

Sorry, but not familiar with Crossfire/SLI stuff.

Thanks!

Thanks again Trotter - always there with an answer!

Yep, that's my MB. Just wasn't sure about the 8x and 16x. The cards are a good deal right now so I thought if it would make a good difference, what the heck.

Thanks again.

Don't worry about lane speed, you can check out this article from Tom's, but basically this is what you want to know (taken from that article, (c) tomshardware.com):

While we did see a fairly large difference between x8 and x16 slots when a single card was used, adding a second card shifted our limit to CPU performance. That is to say, for most of today's tests, a faster CPU would be far more important than dual x16 slots in achieving the ultimate SLI performance.

That answer presents its own set of questions, since our high-flying Core i7 CPU was already pushed to 4.00 GHz. Most builders simply can't go much higher with a daily-use gaming machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom