critique my server build :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punjad

Beta member
I'm planning on building a home server that i "may" turn into a web server (with some upgrading) later on and i want to know if the parts i have chosen are good choices from those who have more experience :)

OP: Microsoft Windows Home Server OEM RP1 OEM

MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SBL-LN1-O

CPU: Intel Xeon X3220 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

RAM: Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM

PSU: S61EPS 610W

dvd/cd drive: Sony Optiarc Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X

Case: HEC 6C28BB8S Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Your motherboard supports ECC RAM in dual channel config and I would take them up on both of those. I would also suggest keeping the boot drive and the data drives separate. I presume you are going to put those drives in RAID 1 so I suggest getting another, smaller one to boot from. You don't need anything like 610W to power that machine although that is a very nice PSU. That DVD ROM drive is IDE, ideally you should look for a SATA unit but given that it is a ROM drive, what do you plan to use for backup? Also I don't know if Windows home server is any good what software do you plan to run on it?

thanks for the reply :)

I have switched the drive with a sata one (didnt even notice I chose an IDE one :eek:). I have also added in a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

you recommended buying ECC RAM, but i am having trouble finding appropriate RAM on newegg.ca (where i am buying from). Would you be able to suggest some? maybe this? Newegg.ca - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KVR667D2D8F5K2/4G - Server Memory

Also the reason I chose windows home server is because I plan on using it for a central/remote storage device and torrents. plus don't plan on learning to use Linux just for that.

You can get all of that with freenas including a built in torrent client you don't need to learn linux it is configured threw a web interface after a basic set up. I hate to link to my own crappy blog but here is a basic set up tut. Assorted Tech

To be honest, you don't need a xeon quadcore to run a home server/web server. I'd recommend just running a dual core. It'll give you the same kind of power for what you'll be doing and you'll save a lot of money

Holy crap, Pete lives!

And he's right, you don't need a quad core for that sort of thing. Save some money and grab a dual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom