Status
Not open for further replies.

brownbomber

Solid State Member
new b.......

I like to make personal DVDs. Alot of video encoding and tv recording
budget $800-$1000
from old cpu I already have
tv tuner (which I want to upgrade later)
video card (not much of a gamer yet)
2 hard drives

I like this case

I want 2 gb ram or is it to much?
SAGITTA-SILVER.jpg

I want to go with an opteron 165 and over lock but I havent the slightest idea on how to and dont want to mess everything up.
I defenetly want to go with amd from what ive read on the forums and dual core ofcourse. which one? how much speed do I need for what I do?
also need a good mobo....I will be ofcoarse adding stuff to this cpu in the future for i want it to last a while.
power supply? is it that important?

what about the cooling system? does it come with the processor or mobo?need that also.

2gb of ram is fine and is probably best if you are doing video editing. good choice of processor. once you have your rig together just make a post in the overclocking section of this forum and we'll be glad to help. in case you don't know the reason dual core is a great choice for video editing/encoding is that the programs designed for it are some of the few designed with full SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) support meaning it will take advantage of a pc with more than one processor or a dual core processor. the processor should come with a cooler that will be fine for it even with a small overclock. as for motherboard i would reccomend anything from DFI as you say you would like to overclock

well thats a start thx for the reply.would you happen to have a link for a good mobo?how bout the case I chose? is it known for any trouble with cooling?

I would've recommended a Pentium 4 for the video encoding, but since you plan on getting an Opteron 165, thats an excellent idea. The overclockability of the Opteron would more than make up for the Performance loss due to a low clockspeed. Nice choice ;)

Flanker said:
I would've recommended a Pentium 4 for the video encoding, but since you plan on getting an Opteron 165, thats an excellent idea. The overclockability of the Opteron would more than make up for the Performance loss due to a low clockspeed. Nice choice ;)

thx flanker, the thing is that the only things ive ever done with a cpu is install ram memory and a dvd burner.How safe is it to overlock and is it newb proof?I know I have to start somewhere. what are the chances of me messing up the opteron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom