CPU Upgrade Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtcheese64

In Runtime
Athlon 3200 or 3800?

I'm upgrading my system to socket 939 and I have a choice to make. Either get an athlon64 3200 venice, or an athlon64 3800 newcastle. What should I do?

nitestick's response not good enough for you? He pretty much gave it to you straight. But the way I'm thinking of it... if you are UPGRADING a CPU, then that means you HAVE to have some variation of the Athlon 64 3000+. So if that's the case, any kind of 3200+ would be a terrible waste of money. Stick with what you have until you can afford a 3700+ San Diego core or an Athlon X2.

Ryan

Oh sorry, probably should have put Upgrading System. I'm going from a socket A xp2200 so anything that's 939 will be an improvement. Which one do you think would be better for a system upgrade?

If u can afford then go for a San Diego Core, Next the Venice core and the worst being the Newcastle.

not if you're not overclocking... Then the cores have such a small difference that they aren't a playing factor in the decision.

Ryan

i think this is enough information for your decision mate. without getting horribly technical there isn't much more to say. my suggestion though is if you can be patient enough get an X2. its worth it. they are mighty powerful as is, and we haven't even gotten to the stage where most software takes advantage of dual cores. this will leave you future proofed.

nitestick said:
i think this is enough information for your decision mate. without getting horribly technical there isn't much more to say. my suggestion though is if you can be patient enough get an X2. its worth it. they are mighty powerful as is, and we haven't even gotten to the stage where most software takes advantage of dual cores. this will leave you future proofed.
Something about saying future proof in a computer tech related discussion seems odd to me... hmmm.

Heres my 2c
I honestly wouldnt get a dual core unless you multi task.
And i hate hearing dual core is future proof b/c there will be more and more dual core programs coming out. When those programs come out that utilize dual cores, will the operating frequency be outdated? perhaps and then its not future proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom