CPU Upgrade Problems. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeDelta16

Baseband Member
Ok, so I have a Sony Vaio about 3 years old, or less.

1.8 Ghz Pentium 4,
512 MB RAM,
Intel ASUS P4B266-LM V1.02
Etc. Etc.

Now I have upgraded the video card about a year ago to a GeForce FX 5500 AGP. (256) and I felt that what this computer REALLY needed was a CPU upgrade. So with great feats of Googlism; I discovered my mobo was a 486 socket mobo.

Enter, eBay/ therefore I purchased a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4, 486 socket chip from a trusted seller (lots of high ratings) off ebay for about 80 bucks.

Now, i got all my tools, thermal compound, isypropyl, the works. EXITED< I stick in the new CPU hit the power butting (after the heat sync and fan plus PSU were re-mounted) and it boots just fine (i think) except nothing shows up on the screen. I replace the old chip; works fine. I put the new chip in, boots without screen. What's going on? Help?

OK so maybe I need a new BIOS? it's an Award Bios 1002. (I have submitted a bios request to award) will that help me? I really want this to work, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
-cD

UPDATE: I purchased a BIOS upgrade (49 bucks!) but when I went to install it i got an error message: Insufficient Memory. I tried doing the HIMEM.sys (or w/e) but couldn't find the right lines.
To late to call tech-support.

lol googlism , its socket 478 not 468 and its excited and heatsink

a bios update can defintly sort it out , usally you get it from the motherboard manufacturer site , or in your case from sony site cuz its an oem mobo and asus offers no support for it , and guess what? for free , see if you can find it on sony's site and if you cant then email their support and ask for it , if its not on the site & support wont give you it then youll have to buy a new mobo , each mobo basicly have a unique bios so a bios of X board wont fit to Y board

better give up on that update you got for 49$ , you cant know for sure if its indid for your mobo , if its not then 2 things can happen
1) it will just display a message that it aint compatible and wont flash
2) it will flash and will leave the mobo.. dead , youll see nothin on screen

if you still wanna try that update , then add these lines in config.sys
dos=high,umb
device=himem.sys /testmem:off

Thanks for the help, and the spell checker. I actually saw that but being to lazy to edit I did nothing about it.

I got my BIOS update from esupport.com did the whole download the program scan your computer custum update thing/submit request.

I guess i'll end up buying a new Mobo. Just ticks me off!

Since I will be going with a 478, not wanting to buy ANOTHER CPU I heard the Abit IC7 was good. What are your thoughts?

-cD

you welcome :D , the site looks well designed although still cant say for sure if the update you got from em is truly intended for that mobo , i suggest youll upload it to http://www.mytempdir.com ill have a look maybe ill be able to determine if its indid for that mobo

IMO the best s478 mobo is asus p4p800-e , i had a look in ebay found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-P4P800-E-M...873782536QQcategoryZ80143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
only 56$ including a P4 3GHZ processor , if your gonna go for it better ask if it includes the back plate

being basically computer-spending broke has it's drawbacks. Not only did I buy the CPU but i bought a Raidmax X-1 off e-bay too. Can't wait for that bad boy to come in.
-cD

486, 478, 468, 939, LGA775 whatever, as long as when I plug the sucker in it doesn't go KABOOM.

Look ma, no fire extiguisher! Hey wait a minute, that's not funny.
Nevermind.
-cD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom