cpu upgrade problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a

In Runtime
hello all

i'm upgrading a budget build and i'm having all sorts of problems with the upgrade to a more powerful CPU.

the mobo is an ASUS M2N-SLI and the old CPU is a basic single core AMD. the new cpu is an AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor (ADX640WFGMBOX). before buying i checked on the ASUS site and saw that the CPU is supported. i updated the BIOS and i can get the system to post with the old CPU (post BIOS update) but it will not post with the new CPU (in fact, it does nothing). i checked the new CPU and there are no bent pins or any other obvious signs of damage. any ideas?

thanks in advance

quick follow-up: just in case, the power supply is fairly new and obviously working as it should (it works with the old CPU) and has more than enough power to handle the new setup.

Support AMD® Socket AM2+/ AM2 Phenom FX(2000MT/s)/Phenom(2000MT/s)/ Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron

Nowhere in there says an Athlon II. And that is an AM2 board. Your new CPU is for a AM3 board. I'm afraid your new CPU will not work unless you get a newer AM3 board.

Nowhere in there says an Athlon II. And that is an AM2 board. Your new CPU is for a AM3 board. I'm afraid your new CPU will not work unless you get a newer AM3 board.

thanks for looking in on my mess :)

this is the cpu support list for my mobo

and this is the detail on the CPU i'm trying to install

did i completely goof?

Still, that's not possible. An AM2 board and a AM3 CPU is not compatible.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M2N-SLI

This is what I get. I don't know how you got yours. Think that is a general page. Look on the product page, as I did.

I'm afraid you messed up. Unless I am wrong....

i got it from the same page you cited above, if you search for 640 on that page you linked you will see the same page i posted.

I know for a fact that an AM3 CPU does not work with an AM2 board. It says in the specifications, I do not see Athlon II. I go by specification only, that is your best bet for any upgrades.

I know for a fact that an AM3 CPU does not work with an AM2 board. It says in the specifications, I do not see Athlon II. I go by specification only, that is your best bet for any upgrades.

hmm - i'm not sure what you mean ("in the specifications"), this cpu is listed as supported by ASUS on the site for my mobo. i know the sockets are different but it plainly says it is supported. (i appreciate the help, not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand your point) what am i missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom