Is a cpu upgrade possible on my old dell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollygrunt

Solid State Member
I've got an almost 3 year old dell dimension 4700 with a 3.2ghz prescott DT P4 800fsb. You can see the rest of the specs in my sig.

Since purchase, I've only upgraded the RAM to 2gigs and added a second monitor, a 15" NEC vga lcd I picked up for $50. I don't play games on this system, but I do a lot of video work.

What I want to know is if it's possible to upgrade the cpu to a true dual core cpu.

As it's currently configured it runs great, but still, I just gotta know if only to know that I can. :)

Download CPU-Z and tell us what socket your dell motherboard has, then we can tell you ;)

CPUID

He's using DDR2 memory, so it has to be socket 775. Best bet for him to have a dual core, is the Pentium Ds, as I don't think motherboards 3 years old, would support the newer dual cores. Unless theres a BIOS update for them.

I was looking at the technical specifications sheet, and it did not mention anything except Pentium 4s. So it's most likely that you can't upgrade to a dual core processor.

The only BIOS update listed:
The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A09 to create A10:

1. Added Service Tag Feature in Setup
2. Add support for newer processors
3. Improve USB support with Celeron Processors
4. Removed dialog pop-ups from flash program when -NoPause is used
Dated 1/27/2006

Did Pentium Ds hit the market by then? I'm thinking no, but I have been wrong before. Just once, mind you, but I am at least humble enough to admit it.

Pentium Ds I believe, hit the market in 2005. But I doubt he's going to be able to upgrade, as the spec sheet only mentioned P4s as supported processors. He should save up anyway for a new computer. These days, you can be up to date for not that much.

I think you guys are right in that I would be better off saving to get a new one.

I'm in no hurry as this ones still working well for what I use it for.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

Why mention a 478, when the spec sheet says P4 520s and up, which are all 775...

hey i have that biostar board. thing is a champ. lol. yeah usually pentium D boards don't support true dual cores though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom