CPU Upgrade possible for Dell Demension 3000???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
Hello, I upgraded the Memory in my Dell Demension 3000 to 2gb by this forums recomendation really happy with the upgrade, waiting for the Video card. Ram is giving me some problems, seen in the Hardware trouble shooting:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/upgraded-ram-2gb-dell-demension-3000-but-175829/

I'm sure I'll be able to fix the RAM Problem. Next Question for upgrading, "I just doont have the power", I'm not looking for monster computer, but I have only spent maybe 120 dollars in upgrades. (haven't got the video card yet). maybe another 100 wouldn't hurt, I notice computers getting so cheap these days....

I want to make it a tad bit more powerfull. Is upgrading my CPU something I could do for this?? Is it possible for this mother board in the DELL Demension 3000? What are my options? Should I not do this??

This is your motherboard - Intel® 865G Chipset

Basically the best thing it can handle is a P4 with HT (Hyper Threading)

If you want something in the dual core/quad core range then you would have to upgrade the board.

Heres probably the best thing you could get- Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

It's a decent chip, can be overclocked to 3.7 (Newegg review) and would be good if looking to pay only a little instead of buying a board and cpu.

Thanks for the reply, Because I'm a Naive computer guy I googled Hyper threating. Came up with this:

Hyper-threading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm running XP on this system. Would hyper theading be okay? I think the the CPU is a Pentium 2.80 GHZ right now, I noticed the CPU recomended is a 3.0, though it has hyper threading capabilites. I understand the concept of DUAL Core and Quad core, but Don't quite know how hyper threading works.

Is it basically, like a another cpu that really isn't there, but some how has the performance of two CPU's, Like Dual Core? I really wish I knew how you were able to find out that part is compatible (I beleive your judgment). I have a program that tells me what type of mother board I have just don't know how to search for compatible parts.

Thanks so much...

Hyper Threading kind of emulates two cores, but not really too well. From what I've understood about it, it's ok but it doesn't really offer a lot of extra performance.

Also don't bother trying to upgrade a motherboard with a Dell, I've got a Dell and all their stuff is proprietary and won't work with non Dell motherboards. Just in case you were wondering.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom