cpu upgrade ?

Dodge Charger SE, 440 6 pack, 4 speed hockey stick shift lever, go wing. it had the stock 3:54 gears and in a drag race was not that hard to beat. but i NEVER lost a top end race with it. even the Vette guys. part of that is i had nerves of steel, and a brain as hard. i almost cost my best friend his life before i woke up. / motorcycle was a 350 Kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 stroke, Denco RACE chambers (on the street), H1 (500cc carbs, and ported further than Denco;s race bikes. it would beat 500cc Kawasaki triples all day long. and 750 Honda 4 cylinders. that would p*$$ those guys off to no end. of course, a lot of them had no idea how to drag race a bike. which helped immensely. the 350 handled so much better than the 500 & 750 triples. the sides of my boots were worn on a 45 degree angle. the only people i rode with that could out corner me (small town had a lot to do with that i am sure) was my older brother, and his best friend. but both of them conceded it was a better handling bike than their 750's.

Last edited:
Mmm this convo makes me anxious for this spring. I'm taking my new 4.6 mod motor out and swapping it in for an old built 351w. Forged and cammed ready for a big turbo. I love the bubbly mod motor sound from my current engine but nothing really beats old school push rod sound to me. Just currently trying to decide if I should go carb or EFI. Should come out about like this. SKip to around 35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4KuCBo2kg&index=12&list=WL

Last edited:
well, i love old school all the way. but, i do remember very much playing with Holley carbs all the time. there was always something that needed tinkering. if i had the knowledge how to tune SMPEFI, i would not even think about a carb set up. but i would be completely and totally lost there. so i would have to run carb(s). back in the day, my buddy and i built up a 302 Ford engine for a "poor farmer" to put into his 1967 Mustang. it truned 9200 rpm using a tunnel ram and twin 660 cfm holleys. it took some tuning, but eventually it ran like a scalded dog. but there was not much power below 4000 rpm. the first couple of passes were so bad, initially we thought we might have did something wrong during assembly. but it turned out that it was just running so lean it could not build any power. for the third pass, we were still scratching our heads, and i suggested we double the size of the main jets in the carb. my buddy thought i was nuts until the engine hit 4500 rpm and broke the tires loose at around 35mph. we ended up going up another 5 sizes larger from that point on the mains. i miss those days a lot. but i am to busted up and broken to do that kind of work again. that was almost 40 years ago now.

well, i love old school all the way. but, i do remember very much playing with Holley carbs all the time. there was always something that needed tinkering. if i had the knowledge how to tune SMPEFI, i would not even think about a carb set up. but i would be completely and totally lost there. so i would have to run carb(s). back in the day, my buddy and i built up a 302 Ford engine for a "poor farmer" to put into his 1967 Mustang. it truned 9200 rpm using a tunnel ram and twin 660 cfm holleys. it took some tuning, but eventually it ran like a scalded dog. but there was not much power below 4000 rpm. the first couple of passes were so bad, initially we thought we might have did something wrong during assembly. but it turned out that it was just running so lean it could not build any power. for the third pass, we were still scratching our heads, and i suggested we double the size of the main jets in the carb. my buddy thought i was nuts until the engine hit 4500 rpm and broke the tires loose at around 35mph. we ended up going up another 5 sizes larger from that point on the mains. i miss those days a lot. but i am to busted up and broken to do that kind of work again. that was almost 40 years ago now.

That's what I have in my ford truck. 302 bored with a Weiland high rise aluminum intake and Holley 650 DP. I'm going efi for more control.

if you know how to program, and tune, that is the best set up. unfortunately, i would be totally lost. but a hot rod in my future is about as likely as being bitten by a king cobra snake, and surviving.

Don't really need to tune if you get the right EFI controller setup. You can drive, do full throttle runs, ect to get it recorded then most companies CS will help you out with a tune. Xfast will Skype you if you want. Send the data to them, they analyze it, send you a tune back, upload it to ECU, test it out. I believe (don't quote me) they can analyze in real time as well.

wow, sounds like they have come a long way since i looked into that a decade or so ago. of course, what electronically hasnt come a long way in 10 years!

Exactly. Computers in general have brought electronics in vehicles a LONG way, and the internet has paved the road for lots of aftermarket availability as well.

Back
Top Bottom