CPU thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
I am expecting the parts for my new computer to come in tomorrow or Friday, and I have looked over the guide at Toms hardware about assembling the computer. There is 1 thing that I am worried about.

I am worried about the thermal paste for the CPU. How much do I put on? Where do I put it on? I dont want my new machine to fry!

this is my CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103735

u should sqeeze about the size of a rice and u smudge it underneath the the heat sink where it touches the CPU

My new way of doing it is, a cooked grain of rice amount on the top of the CPU and a tiny blob on the heatsink and wipe in until there is a very dull look to the heatsink and then apply.

The heatsink that comes with the CPU with have paste/pad already on. Find out how to put the heatsink on with out touching it with the CPU. Once you make contact you can not then lift it up, otherwise air will be in the paste.

this reminds me one time when i spilled a dab on my motherboard and killed it ;[ dont follow my samemistakes!

aside from what trifid and the others said, you should just follow the instructions on arctic silver's website (to the letter). if you have any problems with it just ask. but if you follow their guide you really can't go wrong. if you spill some on the motherboard then high purity alcohol (isopropyl, methylated spirits) on a tissue or lint free cloth should clean it up quite easily and because it is very volatile evaporate long before you power on your pc. as a side point it is also less conductive than average tap water, at least it is where i live.

xynthetik said:
this reminds me one time when i spilled a dab on my motherboard and killed it ;[ dont follow my samemistakes!

There acrually is a good point here, compounds like Arctic silver have enough silver in it to act as a conductor, so be sure that the compound winds up where it is wanted only.

There acrually is a good point here, compounds like Arctic silver have enough silver in it to act as a conductor, so be sure that the compound winds up where it is wanted only.

if you read the details arctic silver provide, they do admit it has it's flaws but they clearly state it is not electrically conductive. they do say it can be capacitive when bridging close proximity electrical conductors though

ok the heatsink has preapplied thermal stuff that it says to use. I stick the thing on the cpu and slide one of the rail things onto one side. I CANT get the other side rail on. Im just too scared because it is so tight. I have already tried to get it on and Im just so worried that its gonna break before it fits on. :( help me

nitestick said:
if you read the details arctic silver provide, they do admit it has it's flaws but they clearly state it is not electrically conductive. they do say it can be capacitive when bridging close proximity electrical conductors though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

Metal-based thermal grease contains metal particles (usually silver) and other conductive ingredients. Metal thermal grease has a better thermal conductivity (and is more expensive) than silicone-based grease. It is also more electrically conductive, however, which can cause problems if it contacts the pins of an IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom