Cpu And Ram questions(and Advise for new my comp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragenFear

Solid State Member
Ok so with tax money coming up im going to build a new computer wich is going to be a first
my current comp i built is made from parts i salvaged from trashed comps so its going to be 1 **** of an upgrade
Currently Im Running A 700Mhz Celeron Cpu, 512mbs SDRAM, a Zogis GeForce 5200 128mb GPU, And 2 EIDE Hard Drives Totaling About 50 Gb.
So Far I Have Decided To Go For At least a 3.0 Ghz CPU and have found 2 in my budget 1 is a Intel Celeron D 356 3.33GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 775 CPU thats 36.50 and the other is a Intel Pentium 4 641 3.2GHz 800MHz 2MB Socket 775 CPU For 59.00 My Question Is With The System Im Building Should I Go for The Cheaper One Or The More Expensive?
Im also eying a Intel Pentium D 935 3.2GHz 800MHz 4MB Skt 775 Dual Core CPU thats 92.00 but out of my budget but looks more promising
The System I'm Building Is Going to Have A Forsa GeForce 6600 512MB DDR2 GPU.
As well as 1.5gb of DDR2 RAM.
I will be running Windows Xp Proffesionel and have a 320gb SATA Hard Drive.
I Do Alot Of Gamming As Well As A Ton Of Downloading And Video Conversions.I am pretty much on my comp all day.
So which CPU should I go for?
And this may be a dumb question but DDR2 RAM is better than DDR Ram Right?(i only recently had reason to look at it so i am still learning)
Thamks For Any Help And Advise In Advance

Dragen R.Fear

The old Pentium stuff isn't any good. You want a Core 2 processor, like maybe the E2180. It's about the same price as that Pentium D you mentioned... but lots better.

If you want a Sub-$60 Processor, you'd probably be better off going AMD.

Also, yeah, DDR2 is a little better than DDR1, and right now it's also cheaper. Any recent motherboard won't support DDR1 anyway.

You're going with 1.5GB of RAM? Seems like an odd number... I'd just get a 2x 1GB kit.

How much are you looking at spending in total?

At Most $300 and i need at least a 3ghz CPUMost Im Spending On A Cpu Is 65.00
do you know any amds that fit the bill in my price range?
If You Can Build A better Comp Based On The Budget Plz Tell me

Edit:By The Way Heres A Question Can You Play A Game Requring 2.8ghz On A 1.6 dual core?

i need at least a 3ghz CPU

GHz means nothing nowadays. The CPU that i linked to is much better than the old netburst 3+ GHz CPUs (such as the pentium D, celeron D)

Also, will you be overclocking? Does the budget include monitor, operating system, hard drive?

Edit:By The Way Heres A Question Can You Play A Game Requring 2.8ghz On A 1.6 dual core?

The answer is almost certainly, yes. What game is it?

Also, will you be overclocking? Does the budget include monitor, operating system, hard drive?
It Includes
MotherBoard
Case
Power Supply
Graphics Card
CPU
Hard Drive
Fans And Heat Sink
Dvd-Burner Drive
RAM
And a friend is buying me the OS as a gift.

The answer is almost certainly, yes. What game is it?
Command And Conquer 3 Tibirrium Wars
And stacks of games 5 boxes high 10 rows long(i buy games that my comp cant handle and end up playing them on friends comp :( )
So What I Could Consider a 1.6ghz as a 3.2ghz?
ANd i want to overclock but i never have before

you would be extremely hard pressed to build a decent gaming rig for 300 with all the stuff you need.

you could potentially do it, but it would be hella ugly.

and this is an analogy of how dual/quad cores work. its like you and your 3 friends are trying to go somewhere, you won't get there any faster by you four taking 2 cars rather then all 4 in one car. thats how cpus work. one 4ghz cpu will work faster in doing something then a 1.6ghz dual core, that is if the application is programmed for a single core. if its optimized for 2 cores then you can essentially add the two core speeds together to get the speed of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom