CPU Question Regarding Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonyholton_2010

Beta member
Hey guys -

I have a question regarding how a CPU functions during gaming. I know that in general it is better to purchase, for instance, something like a 2.4 dual core over a single core 3.0 processor.

But games sometimes have recommended requirements of something like a 3.0 processor. So would it be better to run the game, all other hardware components equal, with the 2.4 dual core or a 3.0 single core? Thanks!

Well clock speed doesn't even matter that much anymore either way. Its architecture would matter more anyways.

I mean a Core 2 Duo e6300 1.86ghz would run better on GTA IV (which recommends a Pentium D 3.0ghz or something like that) would be better than that Pentium D, because the Core 2 Duo smokes the Pentium D clock per clock (when both are at the same speed).

But for simplicity reasons, yes, the Dual-core still would run better.

Most older games will run better with the 3.0Ghz single-core. Newer Games are just starting to take advantage of multiple cores (for the past year or so).

It's hard to answer your last question because all the other hardware components are never equal, so to speak. If your trying to power a high-end video card both of those cpu's will bottleneck it. With a low-end card you won't bottleneck the video but even maxed out you'll never be able to play at high setting. And some games demand lots of memory so the cpu speed won't help there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom