CPU overheating (semi)random shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevuth

Beta member
Problems started two nights ago. Wow'ing it up and my pc shut down. No warning, spinup/down of any fans.
After much tinkering and a can of compressed air, I figured I had most everything fixed. Booted up, let the pc idle, made a sandwich, came back and it had shutdown again.
Was able to keep it on long enough to do a full virus scan that came up clean, checked all the connections, reapplied thermal paste to my cpu, opened the side panel to see if that would maybe air it out a bit more.

SpeedFan showed a temp of 50C
PC Wizard shows:

Hardware Monitoring : Fintek
Voltage CPU : 1.10 V
ACPI Thermal Zone : 23 °C
:
Processor : Thermal Diode
AMD Athlon 64 X2 (Core 1) : 31 °C
AMD Athlon 64 X2 (Core 2) : 34 °C
:
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT : nVidia Driver
GPU Temperature : 62 °C
GPU Fan : 35%

This is with just firefox running and the side panel off. I made a trip to BB earlier today and picked up a new heatsink/fan for my cpu, as the one that shipped with my AMD seemed to put out no air at all. $30 Rocketfish blows some air, and ran alright, but after 25 minutes of wow, it shutdown again.

ATM I've got two questions: Unless there's some hidden feature, my mobo shows no way of controlling fan speeds, so is installing different/better bios a possibility? (Mainboard : Asus NARRA2)
And where do I find a new sink/fan that'll keep a duel core amd 6000 chill enough to game?

[I made a semi impulse buy from newegg on a better case and a new mobo, but while its in transit, I need something to work on.]

Suggestions. Thoughts. Questions. Criticism? I'll take it all.

Everything I know about PCs is self-taught or watching a friend work on his.
So how do I go about turning up the fan on my gpu? where the heck is my gpu?

I believe you can turn up the fan in Nvidia control panel
(if you use Vista, control panel -> additional options)
Ntune.jpg

if its not there, then I think you gotta download nTune

or you can do it with RivaTuner

I never had any luck with nvidia's control panel.
I'd go with rivatuner, its pretty simple to use.

Also, is it only when you run WoW or any other game? Or is it a random shutdown. If it is completely random, could be the PSU going south.

It's anything other than simple web browsing and idle. Wasn't even able to convert a video file to hold me over till my new case/mobo arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom