CPU Overheating? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: CPU Overheating?

Probably a faulty PSU. The voltages are way off and I dont think that all his fans could be spinning at 164RPM they should have stalled at that point surely. If they are spinning (and hopefully faster than 164RPM) then it could be a false reading for both the speeds and the temps due to PSU fault.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: CPU Overheating?

At this point it is a certainty that the video card running is causing the temps, although the high temp does not seem to come from the video card itself (it does warm up, but not to the degree of the CPU).

I disconnected power from the video card and reconnected the ATI Radeon 200 xpress, and things seemed to be back to normal, except for an irritating high pitched whine while the PC was running. When I ran PCWizard again, I seemed to have a lot of problems with the computer freezing (though I think memory is the culprit here), and couldn't get voltages or fan speeds to come up at all. I definitely did not sense the heat from the CPU though. I reconnected the video card, and there it is.

I wonder now if it is a loading problem on the power supply as has been suggested. At this point it just does not make sense why plugging power to the video card would cause the CPU to go haywire.

Closed Thread