cpu or mobo gone bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanp0286

Baseband Member
OK, I have been having nothing but problems from my computer for about the past month. It would just freeze and you'd have to reboot it, or it would just reboot itself, and lately it will just lose signal to the monitor but still stay powered on (all fans working, but no cpu response). I changed out the HDD and tried to reinstall Windows on the replacement last night to no success. I also RMAd my graphics card and got a new one, but it's still in the box, haven't reinstalled it yet. So, I know it's not the PSU or graphics card so I'm thinking it's the CPU or mobo. My CPU did get hot one time when the fan quit working so the computer shut itself off, that was about a year ago. When I took it to a shop, the guy there just pulled the old heatsink and fan off, didn't clean anything, and just stuck a new one on there? So do you think over time it has finally just given up?

cpu is my bet..... AMD has a policy where you can send it to them and they will test it out for you and make sure its in working order... just pay one way shipping.... and send it in the original box.... i had this done to my chip and within 1.5 week i had the CPU back

the computer came prebuilt from walmart.com about two years ago so i don't have the original box for the cpu... oh well, this just gives me an excuse to build a cheap socket939 system til i build my am2 system around the new year.

I was talking to a guy today about this problem and he said it could be the RAM? Any thoughts on that? I'm using 512MB Buffalo Technologies RAM (256x2). One stick came with the computer, I bought the other about two months later (exact same stick).

no, doubt its ram. I had that same problem once, my computer booted up for the first time and then I lost all video. You most likely fried your CPU, so I would really suggest you do what calege says and ship it to AMD for a checkup.

Physically check the capacitors on your board - if they are swollen or leaking they will no doubt cause symptoms similar to yours - and it can usually save time since you can sometimes visibily see the damage rather than have to repalce components until you find the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom